JDR15

How can I do a simple sequence step delay

11 posts in this topic

No problem doing this in Studio 5000.

Must have tried this 5 different ways.

How can I do this? Shouldn't be this difficult.

Sorry, a little frustrated as you can see.

Seq_Step_Delay_1.jpg

Seq_Step_Delay_2.jpg

Welcome to the limited world of Siemens ;-)

The output from a timer function allows only a boolean bit on the output.

What is your frustration? Do neither forms work? I've used both successfully, although I prefer the second. Does TIA require the placeholder output instruction?

Neither will work, I could get nothing in the same network to work, someone else suggested doing it in two networks, that finally worked for me.

Seq_Step_Delay_Working.jpg

I see in your initial post an error message relating to the use of an IEC timer. The TON is an IEC timer. What was the complete message? What did you do to resolve the error?

Message: This use of IEC timers / IEC counters is not possible in this target system

See my recent post above: I had to rearrange the logic so that the timer and the move where on two separate networks, the timer also needed an output after it.

By the way, this is TIA Portal Version 11, maybe this issue has been resolved since then?

Hmmmmmm. I went to the Siemens forum and found an item that discusses this very issue. It is dated from 04 NOV 2011. Here is the link (https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/54684852/in-step-7-(tia-portal)-why-is-it-not-possible-to-branch-to-a-move-instruction-for-the-s7-300-400-before-the-in-parameters-of-the-iec-timers-counters-?dti=0&lc=en-WW) but I don't know if you will be able to view it without signing in to an account or not. It is free to create an account and there is a lot of good information there. The article shows two different IEC timer functions, one with "EN/ENO" connections and one without. I don't want to copy and paste the information here because I don't want to infringe any copyrights. I would highly recommend creating an account just to view the discussion. In the mean time, the bottom line is that you were able to resolve the issue. Maybe not the way you would have liked or the way you are used to, but you've made it work. Good job!

I've given a little more thought to your question and I think I have a single-network solution that will work for you. As you can see, this compiled without any errors. The difference is the use of the "isolation" condition, in this case "mLog1" (an "Always True", "ATI", or similar name). The N.O. contact shown could just as easily be replaced with an N.C. contact of "tStep_Dwell.Q". The effect of using the timer done bit would be to make the network execution function as a one-shot. Also note the absence of an output instruction on the "Q" output of the timer. This logic was designed in TIA v12.

MrPLC_Parallel_Timer_Move.thumb.png.4fb6

Doesn't like it, must be a V11 thing.

Thanks for trying though!

Seq_Step_Delay_3.jpg

You don't mention your CPU, I've encountered this with a 315 CPU, the newer 1500 works in the fashion of your first example.  For the older CPU I'll use an S5 timer to create a dwell in the same network.  I don't necessarily like using the S5 timers, but sometimes its just easier providing I'm not setting a timer preset from an HMI.

Yeah it's a 314, so probably same thing as the 315...ok, good to know, thanks.