14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Is that possible to define INT data type in EDS file so the Tags for the module in RS Logix Designer would receive INT data type in Input Tags not SINT?

As marked in the image, the Logix Designer is receiving data as SINT but I want to have INT data type.

Thanks

Muhammad Azeem

Capture.PNG

Edited by Muhammad Azeem

I do not think there is a way to do this; however, maybe we should discuss why you want to do it and see if there is an alternative. 

The data values I have are based on INT (2 Bytes) and the input tags are SINT (1 Byte). I just want the customer to install the EDS file and find the data rather than decoding it.

Please find attached my EDS file in which I have defined parameters but unfortunately unable to import those parameters in RS Logix. Designer

0564002B00010400.eds

Edited by Muhammad Azeem

I think you are missing my request concerning what you want to achieve.  Are you trying to edit an existing EDS file from a device manufacturer to make it format the data in a different way?  Your EDS doesn't list a vendor.  Or are you trying to use an EDS for something entirely different?  I really don't get why you would be trying to make a custom EDS file for this.  It seems to me that what you want to do is achievable by some simple logic.  Maybe if you are worried about customer interface, making a simple AOI would be better suited.  Maybe someone else here gets what you are trying to achieve better than me.

This is the EDS file I have created so far. the thing I want to achieve is for example, on my device I have 2 bytes Datatype. Let's assume I have a temperature field on two bytes 0X000A, but in the Logix Designer in the Controller tags, this value comes like SINT, 00 in one index and 0A in another index. I want my Input tags in INT format so a user can see 0x000A as a whole without decoding the data.

Are you creating a "Generic EtherNet Module" in the PLC I/O Configuration?

This is where you would define your instances and the number of bytes, bytes, words, etc...

On the left side is where you would select the data type.  Is it possible that you left this setting at a default value of SINT?

Can you post a picture of the Generic EtherNet Module?

Please find attached the image. As you can see in my EDS file I have defined 3 Assemblies and you can see two of them in this attached image. The parameters section I have added in the EDS file is to make the ENode_1:I:Data to make INT and read those tags from the EDS file. I can import the Parameters tags in the ENode_1: C but why not in Input data tags.

Capture.PNG

Did you define an ethernet interface in the hardware tree using a Generic EtherNet Module?  If so, could you please post pictures of it?

Please find the attached image for Ethernet Interface.

the tags are in module defined tags.

Capture.PNG

I still don't think I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

What is the L19ER talking to or with and exchanging data?

Where did you get the "Module-Defined" data types?  Even if you where using the "Module-Defined" datatypes, you would need to define the module in the I/O Configuration.  It would then reference the "Module-Defined" data type and create the tags in the database, rather than you simply adding the ENode_1 in the controller tags.

1 person likes this

Just now, pcmccartney1 said:

Where did you get the "Module-Defined" data types?  Even if you where using the "Module-Defined" datatypes, you would need to define the module in the I/O Configuration.  It would then reference the "Module-Defined" data type and create the tags in the database, rather than you simply adding the ENode_1 in the controller tags.

I have managed to do what I supposed to. The number of bytes were 251 and make them INT I changed them 252 bytes. Thanks for your support. 

8 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Yeah I never could figure out what the purpose was behind this and never saw any real answers to the questions being asked so I just threw in the towel. 

Just now, PLCMentor.com said:

Yeah I never could figure out what the purpose was behind this and never saw any real answers to the questions being asked so I just threw in the towel. 

LOLxxxx,,,, Thanks for your towel..!!! Actually, I am new to PLC after the senior employee left the work. I am just getting there, to be honest......