AC Electric

ML1400 encoder wiring

6 posts in this topic

I am about to wire my first encoder to a plc.  I am a little unsure of the connections to be made.  It is a Micrologix 1400 and a accu coder 725 encoder.  the encoder has ground, com, 24v and a,b and c to connect.  ground 24v and com are simple.  but do I just pick 3 inputs for the other 3 and the rest is done in programming?  Sorry really new to this.  Thanks

First with encoders, there are multiple styles of encoder.  Incremental, absolute, single-turn, multi-turn, with different output types (differential line driver, open collector output).  It is not plug and play.  Research what the PLC supports, research what the encoder is, research the wiring required, research the programming required.  Plugging it in is just a part of the task.

Understanding Encoders.pdf

The components were all selected by an engineer. I hope he did his research. I am just wiring components together and someone else is doing the programming. I just want a little help on how the hsc wiring works. It won’t let me open your link either. Sorry I gues I’m too new. Any help is greatly appreciated 

The Model 725 from Encoder Products Company is available with six different signalling options, so you're going to have to dig into this to figure out the appropriate wiring.

What is the exact part number ?    It may include a code to describe the output circuit, like  Open Collector (OC), Pull-Up (PU), High Voltage (HV), Push-Pull (PP), etc.

That's why engineers need to come hook up our own stuff frequently... to make sure we don't dump this job on somebody else !

Get one of the Quick Start documents from the support.rockwellautomation.com website for the MicroLogix and look up which inputs are used for high-speed counter applications (hint, it's the first four) and how the High Speed Counter function files work in the controller.

If I had to guess (and I hate guessing), you're correct that +24V and DC Common go to the power supply, and A, B, and C go to the first three inputs on the MicroLogix.    Since there aren't two wires per signal, this is *probably* one of the simple single-ended circuits.

Edited by Ken Roach

Thanks for the reply. The encoder is a  725N-S-S-1000-Q-OC-1-F-1-EY-Y-CE

ibe seen drawings in the past using pull up resistors. Any ideas what I need to know to confirm that?

Hi,

You just have to go to the Encoder Products Company website (http://encoder.com/) download the incremental shaft encoder model 725 datasheet and the Installation and wiring guide.

If you do so and you decode your part number you’ll find (please check this) that you have an incremental quadrature open collector encoder with no Z channel.

Connect:

Terminal F to supply COM
Terminal B to +24V
Terminal A to PLC A input (I would use I00, the programmer has to tell you which one)
Terminal B to PLC B input (I would use I01, the programmer has to tell you which one)
Terminal G to ground
Leave other terminals unconnected

Now, if you look at the wiring guide you’ll find that you have to connect a 2.2K, 1/2W resistor form each input to +24V (my personal preference is to use 1W resistors for high ambient temperature and for long life)

Bye

1 person likes this