JDR15

Multiple independent stations with "Main" HMI/PC and Recording Data in Excel

8 posts in this topic

I have a project coming up that will have multiple stations, each station will run independently with it's own PLC.  But the customer wants a "Main" HMI/Computer that can be used to view production info of each station, and also record this info in Excel.

I'm sure this is possible, just not sure the best ways of accomplishing this and what software, besides excel,  Studio 5000 and FactoryTalk, to use.  Or maybe that's all I will need?

I don't need detailed info as to how to do everything, I can work on figuring that out on my own. I'm just hoping someone can point me in the best direction.

Thanks!

What they need (and probably dont realize) is a SCADA system.  It will do everything an HMI will do and handle data capture.  The main difference between the HMI and SCADA is really the data logging and presentation portion of the package.  That will allow them to log data, view the system as well as control the individual stations.  If you stay with Rockwell then that would be their Factory Talk SE version (not the ME).  I would suggest that you look into Inductive Automation's Ignition product.  Also I would talk them into logging their data to a database not Excel.  The SCADA system will help with visualization of the data, ie trends and charts. 

Sorry, I should have mentioned that they have existing equipment and they want this to have the same setup.  

I just got some of their existing equipment programs, attached is a screen shot(Main HMI).  I didn't realize you could do this. They configured communication with all  the PLC's into FactoryTalk and are using the tags in the "Main" HMI to show information from each PLC. 

Does anyone know if I need anything special to be able to do this?

2017-10-25 14_29_26-FactoryTalk View Studio - View Machine Edition.jpg

The PanelView+ can connect to multiple PLCs but you need the "standard" model (if getting a PV+6) or the "performance" model (if getting a PV+7). They're more expensive than the PV+6 Compact and PV+7 Standard.

1 hour ago, JDR15 said:

I have a project coming up that will have multiple stations, each station will run independently with it's own PLC.  But the customer wants a "Main" HMI/Computer that can be used to view production info of each station, and also record this info in Excel.

I had a customer a couple of years ago that wanted to get data from their HMI (running FactoryTalk View SE) into Excel. But FTView SE logs data in the .DAT format which you can not open with Excel directly. We called Rockwell and they said to use the "File Viewer Utility", which is a separate application that you use to open the .DAT file. You can then save it as a .csv file, which can then be opened with Excel. We could not figure out an easier way to get their data from FTView SE into Excel. You can download the File Viewer Utility from the Rockwell site, see Tech Note 823751. I just looked up this Tech Note, it also says that version 8.10 and later of FT View automatically includes the File Viewer Utility.

Just now, Joe E. said:

The PanelView+ can connect to multiple PLCs but you need the "standard" model (if getting a PV+6) or the "performance" model (if getting a PV+7). They're more expensive than the PV+6 Compact and PV+7 Standard.

They are actually using the 6181, 1900P(PC based)

I wonder if this is because they have videos that they play through FactoryTalk?

This customer has many machines, all with A-B PLCs, and all with a 6181 PC-based FactoryTalk View SE application?  If that is the case, they have much of the tools in-place already.  Each FTView SE application is a full-blown SCADA system, storing data probably in the complimentary Microsoft SQL Server license that comes with every FTView SE license.

To clarify...FTView ME (Machine Edition) is for HMI dumb terminals, limited data collection; FTView SE (Site Edition) is for PC-based HMI applications with capability for data & event collection.

FTView SE has the capability to store events in a complimentary SQL database.  The customer can run SQL query reports, which they probably have someone who does already, either on command or timed (every day, generate a report for the last 24 hours, email report to list of people).  There are many SQL report generating front-ends on the market.

If this is along the line of what you are interested in, message me and I will share a wealth of knowledge on this subject.  The files are too large to mass post here.

FTView Studio - Event Data Collection.doc

1 person likes this

So evidently they are not currently doing data collection(automated), in excel or otherwise. Turns out they are just entering data in Excel manually on this "Main" terminal, the 6181.  And it's only running FTView ME.  I know, total waste.

But they are requesting of us, for this project, to have  automated data collection.

kaiser - I'm thinking we will probably go that route, I'll message you for the info, much appreciated.