Hoobs

Debugging ST programs in NJ5xx?

5 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to Sysmac Studio, and the NJ series, but have done a lot of automation work for years.

It appears there are four ways to write/run code in the NJs, but there is only monitoring/debugging support for three of them:

• Ladder logic running on PLC: connection highlighting and variable watch/modify
  • Ladder logic running in simulator: all the simulator single-step and other debugging tools
  • ST running on simulator: all the simulator single-step and other debugging tools
  • ST running on PLC: no way to debug or single-step?

Is my understanding here correct?  I am just starting a large project that I was intending to do largely in ST, but if I can't single-step execution on the PLC, set breakpoints, etc., that's not going to work out very well for me and I guess I would have no choice at that point but to revert to ladder logic.

Thanks!

--Al

IIRC even with ladder you cannot set breakpoints / single-step execution if you are connecting to a real controller.

With ladder logic we typically assign a Coil-Contact combination as the "Step" control
With ST programming I often use CASE OF statement as the "Step" control

With ST you still can Watch/Modify variable

Wow...  really?  Man, this is important, IMHO.  I really like just about all of what OMRON creates, I have for years, but this PLC not having even simple embedded  debugging capabilities really puts the NJ series (and others) at a disadvantage up against some of the competitors.  On-board single stepping and breakpoints are critical to the development of large systems with a lot going on.  If I had known this I probably would have specified a competitive PLC instead of the NJ501.  But, I'm here now.

OK, I guess I need to figure out if I can build some of my own simple debugging primitives in ST.  I hope you guys consider adding on-board debugging capabilities, soon!  If you do, or if you already are, I would be happy to be a focused and communicative beta tester for you on that functionality.

Best Regards,
Al

Ever since the CX-Programmer I don't think such feature exist in Omron. Could you name a PLC which supports single-step execution on the controller? Don't mention beckhoff ofc since they're IPC based.

Siemens and EZRack PLC, IIRC...  both have current products on the market with on-board debugging features such as single-step.  I have it from a trusted source that Allen Bradley is close to releasing updates with this type of functionality as well, but I have no way to confirm/deny this information.

--Al