Stuart_Wales

Re-Naming Program Files...

10 posts in this topic

...quick and easy question.

Can I re-name my program tree's in 'monitor write' mode, or will I have to change them, and then 'write to PLC'

Program Tree.png

You will have to rename them and write them to the PLC. These names are set in your PLC Parameters!!!.
Also if you rename these files and download them to your system Q your files will not be overwritten as these have other names so they will still be on the system Q.

Edited by Gambit

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

You will have to rename them and write them to the PLC. These names are set in your PLC Parameters!!!.

Thanks, thought so.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Also if you rename these files and download them to your system Q your files will not be overwritten as these have other names so they will still be on the system Q.

Sorry, can you explain this for me?

It's the same like a harddrive if your file is called prog 1 on the drive and copy a new file call prog 2 then they both exist on the drive.

In case of the PLC only the program(s) set in the parameters will be executed. 

If you rename a bunch after downloading them once, the old ones get left behind.   Clear the CPU before downloading the new names.  It won't automatically delete the old ones or rename them.  It will add new ones with the new names.

Sorry boys, I am not grasping this.

So if I re-name all offline, then write to PLC, are you saying I'll have the above list and then the re-named list all in the same tree??

So if I re-named 'main0' to 'station1' would my tree then read:

ACTIVATE

ALARM

LLS_ASSY

MAIN

STATION1

MAIN1

MAIN2

or

ACTIVATE

ALARM

LLS_ASSY

MAIN

MAIN0                        (So MAIN0 stays in tree???)

STATION1

MAIN1

MAIN2

With Tree you mean thr tree in your software ? because there you will only have Station 1

But in the PLC it will contain both MAIN0 and STATION1. (It's just another file and not over written as it has a different name)

As @Crossbowmentioned this does take memory in the PLC so it is better to clear the PLC (remove the old files)  before you download the new files.

Juts look at it like a PC. if you copy a word document to your C drive but there is already a word document with the same name than it will overwrite that file.

If it has another name then you will have two word documents. 
Remember the PLC will only run the program files which are in the PLC parameters.

Got you! So sequence should be:

1. Re-name (offline)

2. Clear PLC memory

3. Load in new files renamed in '1.'

Yep, but you only need to clear the memory if you run into memory problems. It's ok if the other file exists 

It's OK if extra programs exist, until you try to add new code and find out the CPU is full, even though it shouldn't be.  It's a real headache when you have a program that according to the software will fit but then you get errors trying to download it.  Had to help a customer through that years ago, the error messages didn't help.

Better to just take out the trash...