wendaiyu

In Logix5000, can we consume and produce the tags between two controllers which are…..

14 posts in this topic

Hi, guys!

In Logix5000, can we consume and produce the tags between two controllers which are Not in the same rack, but are both working under our factory network, such as IP 10.10.28.101 and IP 10.10.28.201?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot, buddy.

Could you tell me more details about how to do it? I cannot figure it out.

Thanks again.

There is a manual on their website.

Basics are that in each controller, you configure the hardware, ethernet connection of the other PLC,  in the IO tree, thus establishing the connection.

Then, in the offline of each processor, setup the tags and select wheither they are to produce or consume.  If it is to consume, you need to tell it the tag in the other PLC.  Then download to each processor.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Be sure to use realistic update rates on the Consuming tag(s)

I built this Produced-Consumed Work Instruction some years ago.  It is a technology I haven't referred to in some time.

Understand with Produced-Consumed tags, the pair of controllers (and they can be physically in different places but must be able to communicate with each other) update writing to (Produce) and reading from (Consume) tags.  Any lag in your network not being able to successfully read and write these tags will lead to operational problems.

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley 1769-L32E and L35E Produced and Consumed Tag Mapping.doc

I prefer MSG instructions because I can control the transfer enabling/time.

In addition, I rarely use MSG Writes because people can get confused about why data is changing

in a PAC if there isn't documentation to mention this fact.

Finally, Produce & Consume can get you in trouble.

If PAC A is producing data and PAC B is consuming it but I decide later to produce an additional tag in PAC A for PAC B to consume

and I make a mistake in trying to consume it in PAC B by misspelling the produced tag's name in PAC A while creating the consumed tag, not only will this new consumed tag

fail, but so will the first consumed tag that was previously working.

1 person likes this

I'm working on Produced/consumed tags using studio5000 rev.30 and also using 1756-L73 processors for both the Main PLC and remote, however, when I try to configure the remote PLC within the main PLC tree, the 1756-L73 module type is not an option... Thoughts?

I'm not a Produced/consumed tag user but I think you would be looking for the Ethernet card in the remote PLC assuming that the communications.

The "remote" 1756-ENxT, the chassis that contains it, and the "Producing" 1756-L73 controller must all be in the I/O tree.

The 1756-L73 is definitely supported by Studio 5000 v30.

A complication I've found is trying to produce-consume between an old ControlLogix L55 (supports up to v16) and a new CompactLogix L33ER (supports back to v20, I think). I can add the L55 to the IO tree of the CompactLogix but not the other way around. I ended up using MSG instructions to transfer the information.

You can "fake out" the older controller by entering the L33ER as though it was an old 1769-L35E.   

There is no version dependency that I am aware of that prevents any ControlLogix or CompactLogix from exchanging Produced/Consumed Tags with any other ControlLogix or CompactLogix that supports the same networks.

14 hours ago, Ken Roach said:

You can "fake out" the older controller by entering the L33ER as though it was an old 1769-L35E.   

There is no version dependency that I am aware of that prevents any ControlLogix or CompactLogix from exchanging Produced/Consumed Tags with any other ControlLogix or CompactLogix that supports the same networks.

That would definitely be worth a try if this shows up again. Thanks!

On 10/3/2017 at 1:19 PM, Filthy McNasty said:

I prefer MSG instructions because I can control the transfer enabling/time.

Ditto. I've got some info moving between a half dozen PLC's that are literally a hundred miles apart (maybe a bit more). Someone else takes care of that area now but as far as I know it's still working flawlessly. The application is to shut upstream pumps down if it sees a downstream valve open limit switch break (open). 

Setting up a Message is easier for a tech to comprehend than produced / consumed and it's easier to change or add a Message than produced / consumed.