PendantAutomation

Round Robin Code

3 posts in this topic

I am looking to see if anyone has ideas/code for programming a round robin sort on a conveyor system. Say three lanes where it is 1:1:1 ratio, then if we add in a 50% lane full eye. How would you go about giving priority to other lanes that were not at the 50% mark?

Make your lane ratios variable. On any lane whose 50% indication is true (remember to add a timer for each to ignore minor gaps between items) begin to increase its ratio. Once the 50%% indication is clear for an amount of time begin lowering the ratio back down toward 1. You'll have to experiment with times and amounts to avoid going way overboard by locking a lane out or giving one exclusive priority. An 'almost empty' indicator for each might help also.

On second reading I think you were describing a single feeder filling three lanes. I was thinking three lanes merging into a common conveyor. But the general idea applies with variable ratios except that you would increase the ratio slightly on the lanes whose 50% indicator is not true.

Edited by b_carlton

I was also looking for ideas in how to program the sort. For instance, using two counters on a sort/pass basis, or a FIFO for the first two lanes... Those ideas would be helpful if someone has done much of this. What works best?