AC Electric

Micrologix with 2 ethernet

9 posts in this topic

I have a customer requiring a micrologix likely 1100 and 2 ethernet ports.  The 1761-NET-ENI is no longer available.  Does anyone know how I can achieve this without stepping up to a contrologix at over twice the price of the micrologix?

I'm not aware of a way to do this easily.  I've used routers to allow for separate networks to be connected to one PLC, but it is still going across the single port in the end.

Hello,

depending on what you are trying to do with the second Ethernet port, one option may be to use the serial port of the MicroLogix in Modbus mode (master or slave) then use an off the shelf Modbus/RTU to Modbus/TCP or EthernetIP converter to push/receive your data via Ethernet connection - your consuming/producing device would need to support the relevant protocol on the Ethernet side... there are plenty of converter/gateways eg, Moxa, ADFWeb, RedLion etc etc

good luck!

vds

Edited by vds

First, ask them why they want two Ethernet ports on a small controller.

If the answer is "because we want to connect both to an automation network and an enterprise network", install a small router.

1 person likes this

I require one to connect to the router within the machine to communicate with the hmi, safety controller, vfds and such the other is requested by the client of my client to connect to their automation of the line. My understanding of plc networking is somewhat limited and am rather new to it.  I would think if they could use a port through my router they would not have requested a separate port of the plc for themselves 

We have a few 1761-NET-ENI's on intracoastal platforms in the GOM. I'm glad they stopped making them :-) 

The port server to serial port idea is pretty good.

If you don't have the RSLogix 5000 software the price differential is a lot higher than twice.

If you can offer a 1:1 NAT feature on an existing router, that's what I would offer to the customer.

Or, install another device.   A-B sells ruggedized miniature routers with multiple 1:1 Network Address Translation (NAT) addresses, to make your MicroLogix appear as an address on the enterprise network and otherwise preserve separation between the networks.    The 1783-NATR or 9300-ENA devices might satisfy their functional needs, and not make them dependent on a configuration they don't control.

Thanks for everyones input.  I installed a 1:1 NAT.  The customer has been a while getting the machine together but I should know for sure next week that it works.  This is a great resource.