Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dipen_95

Packing two USint into an INT

3 posts in this topic

I am currently using TIA Portal V14 and S7-1217 Plc and I am stuck as all I get from my remote IO is USint and then I need it to pack it to the INT or DINT respectively. Is there any function where I can pack my low and high byte into an INT and be done with it.

I know one of the more unconventional way is to multiply high byte by 256 and add low byte to it but what happen when i need to convert to DINT i have to multiply and add some weird number.

Can somebody save me from myself??

In the Siemens world, words and doubles are divided up into bytes. Here's a little cheat-sheet I made up a while ago to keep it straight in my head (Least significant bits/bytes are to the right):

SiemensBytePattern.PNG.8b744890adaee3106

So, if your information in integer X needs to be stored inside the higher-order bytes of DB10.DBD8, you would simply move it into DB10.DBW8. If the information in integer Y needs to be in the lower-order bytes of DB10.DBD8, you would move Y into DB10.DBW10. If you're using "M" memory instead of DBs, you can just substitute "M" for "DB10.DB" above. IOW, if your destination is MD100, you would move X into MB100 and Y into MB102.

Disclaimer: I've only just gotten TIA Portal, so I can't post an example for you, but the data structure should be the same.  As with everything "weird" like this, you will want to use a test PLC to make sure this works the way you expect it to. If you don't have a test PLC, you can test it out with unused memory in your main PLC.

Thanks Joe,

It worked. I just created a function to transfer my bytes to INT and DINT respectively and off I go. As I am transferring information back and forth with the remote IO and have way too many bytes to do individual move I had no choice but to create a function.