marckTony

software information

17 posts in this topic

Hello guys, i have some questions about allen bradly sofware.

i have a some old PLC

SLC503, SLC500, micrologix1500. i want to migrate to a newer version compacktlogix 5380 which i know needs   Studio 5000 Logix Designer software, RSNetwork, and RSLinx.

my question is, Is there any software or plataform that support bout processors? or do i need rslogix500 for SLC503 and then studio5000 for compacklogix5380.

what is the normal process to migrate from older processor to newer version?

You need RSLogix500 for the SLC and Studio 5000 for the Compactlogix.

Rockwell has a guide for SLC to Compactlogix migration: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/1769-ap001_-en-p.pdf

See pg 43, there is a converter to go from RSLogix500 to Studio5000: "The Logix Designer application includes a RSLogix Project Migrator that converts an SLC 500 import/export file (SLC extension) into a complete import/export file (L5K extension) for the Logix Designer application."

1 person likes this

We all dream about that software package that supports them all, but it just doesn't exist.  

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, PLCMentor.com said:

We all dream about that software package that supports them all, but it just doesn't exist.  

It does exist, it is called Siemens TIA Portal.....

9 hours ago, Armadillo852 said:

It does exist, it is called Siemens TIA Portal.....

Portal doesn't support anything Allen-Bradley. Unless something has changed, it also doesn't support all Siemens hardware (MicroMaster, Multi-panels, etc.).  Only the latest and "greatest".

Yeah but it actually has to be a product that my clients use.  At this point few of them use Siemens.

20 hours ago, Joe E. said:

Portal doesn't support anything Allen-Bradley. Unless something has changed, it also doesn't support all Siemens hardware (MicroMaster, Multi-panels, etc.).  Only the latest and "greatest".

Sorry Joe, was meant to be a joke...

2 hours ago, Armadillo852 said:

Sorry Joe, was meant to be a joke...

No worries. Missed the sarcasm font...  ;)

thank you guys for your help. another question i notice there are different levels of RSLogix500 beginner, standar,......, professional, and one is more expensive   than the other. but what is the difference between those? is that the license expiration time?  

can anybody send a webpage that i can read about that or something. thanks

other question. is RSlinx included when you buy RSlogix or Studio5000?

RSLinx is included.

Your local distributor should be able to give you a good description of the different levels of the software. The difference isn't license duration but what each package lets you do. I know that there's a place on their website that provides that comparison but I can never find it when I need it and bookmarks never seem to last for long.

I found that too, but it doesn't show the difference between starter/standard/professional.

Joe,

Agreed, didn't say much to me either.

I've only every used Pro (ToolKit).

I remember Starter being "offline" to program or edit, then "online" to download or upload.  But site says something different.

I think Standard does everything.

Pro got you the bundle with all the comms tools for DeviceNet and ControlNet.  Website says something about EtherNet I/P but MicroLogix really doesn't use EIP (too my knowledge, rather it's PCCC. 

I know that standard (what we have) will not let you do anything with macros or VB.

The Project Migrator has several flaws
You'll have to verify every timer, pid, and hope nobody tried to move multiple input cards data into n files using cop

I have a slightly different problem. I am migrating a project from SLC500 to Compact Logix. I have used the  RSLogix Project Migrator  that did a fair job with the logic, however what I need is a tool, or product that will read all of the 'values' from the SLC. The OEM wrote a generic program for the mixers the PLC runs and they have 'configuration' registers to change the operation of the software. For example, N22:16 may be a configuration for a motor. If N22:16 = 0, the motor is single speed, if N22:16 = 1, the motor is two speed, and if N22:16 = 3, The motor has an inverter controlling it. The only way I have found to transfer the values is to manually go through a printout of the downloaded SLC program and manually enter them into the Compact Logix controller. Surly, there is some tool to suck all the values from the SLC???

If you have RSLinx Gateway or Professional, you can use MS Excel with a DDE link to read N registers etc. With RSLogix 5000, there is a tool for reading and saving all tags to a CSV file but I don't remember an equivalent for SLCs.

good luck!

vds