bell939

Newby mistakes

6 posts in this topic

I took a class for PLCs and learned a lot. I wanted to show my fellow employees what PLCs could do for us so I bought an older AB SLC500 trainer which included the 1747-UIC and cables. I also bought an AB SLC1100 to make another trainer. The class showed me how to use the RSLinx, RSLogix, and LogixPro software. I am having a problem getting any of the software to recognize either of the SLCs. Windows 10 recognizes the 1747-UIC, and RSLinx will even have the SLC500 symbol but with a red X through it. Can anyone help me get the software to communicate with either of the SLCs?

Make sure the driver is set up correctly and running in RsLinx.  you can also select the driver, click the configure button on the right, then when the configure screen pops up click the auto configure button at the bottom.

Thanks! RSLinx now recognizes the SLC500 (the red X is gone). Now there is a problem with RSLogix Micro. There is not a setting for a SLC500, and when I try to download a program the error message 'CPU not supported' pops up. Searching online doesn't produce anything helpful.

Any helpful suggestions out there?

What version of Logix500 are you using?  When you say "there is not a setting for SLC500", what do you mean "setting" and where?

Understand that RSLinx is the communication layer of Allen-Bradley's programming packages.  One must configure the link within RSLinx in order for the communication layer to link successfully with something hard in the real world.

An example work instruction is attached that walks users through the difference in SLC ports, along with setting up a USB-to-Serial communication connection.  Even though you may connect via a different pipeline, the steps are very similar.  Hopefully you get a better understanding of the communication fundamentals.

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley SLC Communications Setup.doc

RSlogix Micro does not support SLC500's You'll need RSlogix500 [which is out of development, possibly not for sale]. 

RSLogix 500 is still a current product marked as "Active Mature", which means "Product is fully supported, but a newer product or family exists. Gain value by migrating."

List price for the standard edition of the software is about $2700 per seat. You will have to contact a local distributor to get your actual price. For comparison, the standard version of studio 5000 (for the latest series of their controllers) lists for about $3700 per seat.  RSLogix 5, which is also marked as "Active Mature" but is definitely on the way out lists for about $10,000 per seat. They do that to get people to migrate off of the old stuff, which I understand, but it's still REALLY annoying.