AngryRobot

Use a pointer to look at bit level of Word/Channel?

3 posts in this topic

Is it possible to  use a pointer to look at the bits of a word or channel the same way you would specify an array element?

I'm setting bits of CIO channel 100 (100.00, 100.01, 100.02, etc) and I want to have a contact that looks at 100.XX and goes high or low based on the appropriate coil- and I will change the XX by writing a value do a D area.  CX programmer will take 100.[D100] as a valid contact address, but it won't actually function in the program.

What I'm doing is setting bits when certain conditions are made.  Then I'm trying to use a single event display on the HMI to display all of these made conditions, giving the operator a "NEXT" button to display the next condition.  I can make it work exactly how I would like by using an array; but that uses a lot of addresses... and this is going to be a huge program, so I'm legitimately worried about running out of W addresses.  Being able to use the bits inside of a channel gives me sixteen possible bits per address instead of using an entire channel per array element.

IE: W100.00-16 for one "array" instead of W100-116 for an actual array.  The first option only uses one work bit while the second uses 16.

I believe what you are looking for is the MLPX(076) and the DMPX(077) instructions.

If you are using a CJ2M or greater check out "Indirection". It would look like this 100.00[D100] so if D100=0 then you will be looking at CIO 100.00 if D100=1 then you will be looking at CIO 100.01. If you want a way that works on other PLCs and has even more capacity check out the IR and DR using the MOVR instruction. See the manual I attached.

Using IR and DR for Indirect Addressing JH 071703.pdf