Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harem scarem

5/04 Rebooting intermittenly

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, I have problem with a 5/04 shutting down and restarting intermittenly on piece of equipment at work for a week now.

It seems to happen when the machine starts and stops more often versus running steady.

When I looked at the program that was being ran It had a major fault listed in errors, that was for an output card not being the same as what was listed on the I/O of the program.

I replaced the PV550 to PVP600 over a month I don't know if it would be a comm issue causing this, but I would think that would happened right after install.

I would look at the output card as being suspect for one.

Maybe there is a loose wire and is intermittently shorting out the power for that output card? Especially because you say it happens more on a start and stop condition?

That was the next thing I was going to check but I wanted to find out first if the output card not being setup properly was causing the issue. But thanks for help.

There are multiple root-causes for a SLC rack to reboot.  Incoming power, poor rack power supply connections, rack slots not seated properly, rack backplane, rack power supply, processor, poor grounding practices.  Many of us have encountered some or all of these over our career.

Unplanned restarts would force me to look heavily at the rack backplane and rack power supply.  

However, your note that perception that the frequency of events appears to coincide with machine start/stop indicates a possible connection with system power.  If you have access to a power analyzer, such as a Dranetz, I would encourage you to connect to system primary power and analyze with machine running, stopped, and during start/stop events.  It could very well be poor incoming power quality (a power sag at machine start).  If you do not have a power analyzer, do you have an analog oscilloscope?  Meter power and grounding.

Go online with the processor to look at the fault history...was there a fault event prior to the restart?