Ron_S

Comments transferring GX2

5 posts in this topic

I'll admit that I am a dinosaur when it comes to upgrading software.

I used medoc exclusively for years after windows versions of the software came out.

I eventually moved to GX Developer and got used to it's quirks - and loved it.

I have now installed GX Works 2 & 3 and one thing I have noticed with GX2 is that a program is saved as a single file.

I have not used it 'live' so to speak so I have some queries for those of you that are already used to it.

How do you get the comments out of the single file?

May seem a strange question - but I have a few customers that dabble with programs (and generally mess them up too)

So when I go there, I upload the program from the plc (to make sure I have the latest version) and then transfer the comments from my last saved version to the newly uploaded version.

I do this by saving both versions then moving the file 'COMMENTS.wcd' from the old to the new version. I then have the newest commented version - albeit without comments for the latest alterations.

Is this possible with GX2?

Also, when downloading a program, is there still the option to d/l the comments or not

Thank you

Yes you can download the comment file.

In GX works 2 open your comment file. Right mouse click and you have the option to read or write to a .csv file

From there you can also choose to import from sample comment which will provide you all the default special register/Relay comments 

1 person likes this

Oh, I like that method. Far simpler!

And I like that I can rename them so I know where the comments are from.

Did a test using your instructions Gambit and it of course worked perfectly

Thank you - up and onwards lads :)

Sorry in advance, I am likely to ask a few questions over the next few days as I get to grips with GX2

I take it, I can't open old GX Dev programs with it? Or can I?

I tried to start a new program with an A series plc and even though it was listed it told me to open GX Dev to program an A series.

Not only that, it said it couldn't auto open GX Dev as my version of GX Dev didn't have that feature?

No problem always happy to help

Of course you can project => open other data ....... But you have to convert an A series project to system Q first in GX Developer.
GX Works 2 doesn't support A series

p.s. did you know that there are some free e-learnigs courses available...

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/assist/e-learning/index.html