Remax

Tag description to string

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I want to know if there is a way to move/copy a tag name/description to a string.

Thanks

Description to string.PNG

I'm not aware of any way to access the documentation database from within the user program.    That documentation is saved to the controller only during a download, and is meant principally for recovery of program documents by Studio 5000.

Edited by Ken Roach

Another thing to consider;  FTView does evidently have access to a tag Description as part of the extended properties of the tag.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/531030/page/4

The user program has access to some Extended Tag Properties as read-only values (@Min and @Max, notably) but not the @Description property (again, as far as I know).

Edited by Ken Roach

Hi! I've done this in the past by doing a tag export to CSV file to get the comments, then using an excel spreadsheet and DDE (with RSLinx) push the tag comments into the specified string tags. This is obviously a very manual thing and in my case only needed to be done once, so if you're looking for a dynamic way, then this won't do it for you.. I'm not aware of any other way to do this...

Good luck!

VDS