Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_rock

Temp controller with event output

10 posts in this topic

Have a question that I hope someone can assist with. Building a small machine that will have a Temp Controller to control the temp inside a tumbler basket. I know this must be easier than what it appears to be, but at the moment, sorta brain dead. Want to be able to use a temp controller, set the preset, and when the preset has been reached, then start a timer to control the turning of a basket for a certain amount of time, but only start the rotation after the preset has been reached. Any advice? Looked at some Omron and AB temp controllers, but have not located one that will turn on a output, such as switching a relay contact once the preset has been met. Thanks alot

The AB Bulletin 900 temperature controllers are available with relay outputs; ref. page 9-200 of the latest Industrial Controls catalog. You can use this output to start a timing relay that will achieve your purpose. Omega offers temp. controllers w/relay outputs as well.

You can use a temperature controller with a dual output. With the 1st output you can control temperature and you can set the 2nd output inverted, i mean when the setpoint is reached, this output is enabled to reduce temp, but you must connect a timer, such as mgvol said in his post. I have experience with love controllers, specifically Love 16A (it costs about $300) http://www.mod-tronic.com/Love/pdf/16A_data_sheet.pdf But Automationdirect have a substitute for this one: http://web5.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopp...rs/TC33-2010-AC Regards!

Rocky buddy........ Why not use a simplle E5CN of the like. Set one of the ouputs to be an alarm one (probaly the absolute type which means it will trigger at a point relative to 0 degrees) and start a timer, or combine this with a zen and you can have multiple outputs to indiacte the process progression through indicator lights and the like.....

Thanks for advice Ending up using a AB 900 temp controller. Programmed the alarm output to turn on when the setpoint was reached, then used that to switch a relay contact to start a digital timer, then when timer timed out, energize a heat enable relay to open the line from the temp controller to the Solid State Relays and energize a buzzer and a flashing stack light to indicate to operator that heat time was complete. Worked great, very simple, only a few hundred dollars.

Who do you think makes these temp controllers?

Wow! They look very familiar. As competetive as those companies are I can't believe they do that. I guess pride goes out the door when money talks. ;)

Omron makes them. Questioned the local AB rep about that, I knew he knew, but he tried to just shake it off and say that yea, but the AB version is built to different specs, ( almost laughed, but since he was buying lunch, just listened)

They are "built" to a different spec, the colour and a different label.