Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Custom

panel mate 1700 AB 5/04 vs Panel Mate 1700 Replacement

4 posts in this topic

I'm making this thread, continuing from my previous one (Newbie Screwed Up) where I received tremendous help from those on this forum.    I now have the AB 5/04 working, but the Panel Mate 1700 doesn't seem to communicate with the 504.  The HMI connected to this brick is a Cutler Hammer Panel Mate Pro 1700.  It lights up,  the touch-screen buttons somewhat react to touching (might take a few strokes to react), but the functions do not react with the 5/04.  I called the equipment manufacturer, and they basically said it is all obsolete equipment, no longer supported, etc. and we are SOL. But, for a mere $100K, we can send the unit back, and they'll install all "modern" control units !! Not an option.   I get it that the unit is 10+ years old, but has very low cycle times on it.  (maybe 400 hrs)   It's my understanding that the  HMIs are just that....a means of the operators telling the PLC what you want it to do.

So, my question .... is there an off the shelf software package that would emulate the Panel Mate 1700?  All I need to "control"  is to advance or retard two sets of heat seal rollers (via PacSci stepper motors), actuate two separate hole punch solenoids, and an air solenoid for a knife....it's basically a packaging machine.  I do have a program called PMConfig , but I don't see any communications buttons or icons in that software, just screen shots of what shows up on the HMI, icon selection, change fonts / colors, etc. 

So, I'm looking for a resolution to make new(er) HMI (or even just a cheap a$$ laptop)  with affordable software, and easy interface to communicate with the now functioning 5/04.  Thanks for the input.

PmConfig is part of the software for those screens it sounds to me like you need to match the port settings from the panelmate power pro to the PLC here is a screenshot of where to locate the port settings.Powermatepowerpro_Port.thumb.PNG.7630892

What is the full part number of the obsolete Cutler-Hammer PanelMate 1700?  

There are many companies that market USED control system components.  Used controls are often rated to their condition...NIB (New In-Box, never opened, factory seal, typically 50% of list), NOB (New Open-Box, opened box but new, typically 25-50% of list), Used-No Box (~ 25% of list), and Used (15-25% of list).

Some markets or applications may block the use of "surplus" controls, but other markets have no issue getting their down process back in action with a used HMI.