Jim Custom

rslogix500 Newbie Screwed up AB 5/04

12 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone,

I am using a VERY OLD laptop, Windows 98, the correct AB cable....and only used to download programs into equipment to restore in emergencies into AB 5/04.  I was able to connect to SLC 5/04 using RSLinx (used Auto-Config, all worked correctly) , and wanted to install a program from earlier version using RSLogix500.  It seemed to download correctly, the pop-up asked if I was sure I wanted to install new program, hit YES...then said it would change channel, pop up buttons were "ALLOW" or "DENY" (something like that). I hit "ALLOW".

All seemed good until I plugged HMI back in....had a bunch of codes it didn't like, so I went to install back to original version.  When I went through the same procedure (mentioned above)....5/04 and laptop no longer wanted to communicate.  I assume it has something with allowing the channel change.  As you can tell, I know Jack Squat...I'm not a programmer (duh), but was handed a computer with instructions....and now the machine is down.  Any help with getting me in right direction is highly appreciated in advance.  I searched the forum, and wasn't able to find a solution... I suppose it has to do with an in-experienced, well intending human messing with stuff he shouldn't be messing with !!

Welcome to the MrPLC community !   Ready for a torrent of diagnostic questions ?

What make and model is the HMI ?    Is it connected via the DH+ port, or the RS-232 port ?   If it's connected via DH+, how may other devices are on the DH+ network, and are they all working correctly ?

What sort of diagnostic messages appeared on the HMI ?

What is the status of the DH+ port status indicator LED ?   

What is the status of the Ch.0 status LED (the serial port ?).   Disconnect from that DB9 connector and observe that status LED.   If it is blinking green slowly, then the port has been configured as DH485 protocol and you will need to work around that.

Does the "Auto Configure" feature in RSLinx Classic work anymore ?

The most likely outcome is that you'll re-load the controller program by clearing controller memory so that the Channel 0 serial port is set back to its default DF1 Full Duplex protocol.   That generally involves shutting down the controller, removing the CPU, unplugging the battery, then shorting out the Vdd and Common solder pads (for a minute !) on the back of the controller's circuit board so that the memory drains and the controller is set back to defaults.   There are numerous forum posts and user manuals that show you exactly where those pads are.

Howdy Ken,

Thanks so much for the quick reply....what you stated at the end makes total sense.    The Channel is set to 0, and when I go back and look at the event log, it show 1 d (I think)...  I made a few attempts at setting to 1, 1d 1 d, etc. in the Config screen,  nadda.  So, clearing it completely out and starting over makes sense.  Panel Mate? is the HMI. And I'm pretty sure the DH+ flashes every few seconds, not 100% sure on that, I'll check.   I'll be back on Monday, and give that a try.  I'll update you, and answer all the questions.   I don't have any manuals, but I'll google and see if I can find the pads you mentioned.   Thanks again.

Regards,

Jim

The DH+ port is the 3-pin (and the DIN8 round pin) network port, considered "Channel 1" on the SLC-5/04 controller.   It will have a blue twin-axial cable connected to it.

The Channel 0 serial port can be set up for ASCII or DF1 or DH485 protocol.   I was asking about that Channel 0 LED because when you disconnect it, it flashes steadily when set up for DH485,  but stays OFF if it's set up for DF1 (default ) or for ASCII and there's no outgoing commands.

In general, the DH+ channel status LED will be steady green if there are devices on the network that are "passing the token", even if they aren't communicating with one another.

The SLC-5/04 user program includes the DH+ node address for the SLC-5/04 controller itself.   Often the PLC is "Node 1" and the HMI is "Node 2".

But if you inadvertently changed the DH+ address for the SLC, then the HMI won't see it at the expected address, which will generate error codes.

Why were you loading an old program into the machine  in the first place ?   Were you trying to overcome a communication issue ?

If you look at the settings for port 1 in the old and the downloaded programs you should be able to see what they were both set for and then set up your laptop to suit the program you have just downloaded, providing you have the correct hardware.

If that does not work you can default the processor (which will change the comms to the default DF1 setting) and use RSLinx autoconfigure to go online with a serial CP3 cable, you can then alter the port 1 config (to what it was in the old program, which I hope you uploaded before you downloaded your program) and download your program, so that you can go online again and also your HMI can talk to it.

Alan

It sounds like he was trying to restore program possibly from power event they  should probably invest in some eeproms.

Howdy gang,

I will be on the machine in an hour or so.  Thanks so much for the input, I'll see what happens.  We have all the programs stored in the laptop, including the HMI programs.  The reason we needed to go back to an earlier version was a certain function was not keeping the same timing as the rest of the machine.  Think of it as a web-line printer, and we need to punch holes in the same spot every time....the problem was the holes would slowly move out of registration, and the earlier version worked OK (so I am told),   I'll clear the memory and set up the communications as you all described.  Thanks again.

***UPDATE !! ***

Here we go...thanks to you guys and the info, I got this beast running....sort of.  The issue boiled down to clearing the memory by shorting out the Vbb and ground.  I looked all over for Vdd, and I thought of just finding the actual chip pin-outs and ground Vcc....but I found a print legend on the back of the 5/04 with "GND ___Vbb", so I shorted that for 45-60 seconds with the battery out, put back together, hooked up and all the auto config info came popped up, and it successfully loaded.  The equipment started operating and cycled just fine.  That's the good news, which is a helluva jump from where I was at, so THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH !!  

Now, the not so good news.  The HMI connected to this brick is a Cutler Hammer Panel Mate Pro 1700.  It lights up, the buttons somewhat react to touching (might take a few strokes to react), but the functions do not react with the 5/04.  I called the equipment manufacturer, and hey basically said it is all obsolete equipment, and we are SOL. But, for a mere $100K, we can send the unit back, and they'll install all "modern" control units.  I get it that the unit is 10+ years old, but has very low cycle times on it.  (maybe 400 hrs)   It's my understanding that the  HMIs are just that....a means of telling the PLC what you want it to do.

So, my question .... is there an off the shelf software package that would emulate the HMI ?  All I need to "control"  is to advance or retard two sets of heat rollers (via PacSci stepper motors), actuate two separate hole punch solenoids, and an air solenoid for a knife....it's basically a packaging machine.  I do have the PMConfig software, but I don't see any communications buttons in that config software, just screen shots of what shows up on the HMI, icon selection, change fonts / colors, etc.  So, I'm looking for a resolution to make new(er) HMI (or even just a cheap a$$ laptop)  with affordable software, and easy interface to communicate with the now functioning 5/04. 

If the moderators think this should go on a new thread, please let me know.  My special thanks to Ken Roach...he had me up and running very quickly; however, all you guys input is much appreciated.  Thanks again.

If you have the right version of the HMI software, you should be able to open the project and see what PLC address each HMI "button" interacts with.  Once you have that, you can replace the HMI with anything that will communicate to the 5/04.  The Red Lion G3 series HMIs work well and communicate with the 5/xx controllers well over RS232/DF1.  There are other options as well.

Hey Joe E. !!

Thanks for the input. I think I almost have it figured out, but not able to validate the process yet.  It seems the PanelMate 1700 will not allow one to download ANY programs or configurations with the clock battery dead.  The memory hold all the comm configurations, passwords, etc.  That said, I'm "uploading" the config files from the 1700 to the laptop, and supposedly that will contain the config data.  I'm planning to upload the files down from the 1700 to the laptop, import into data base, replace the battery, then download back into the HMI.  If anyone knows the correct procedure, any input would be appreciated.  I'm using the PMConfig software on the PanelMate 1700, and the RSLogix (Link) for the  laptop to AB5/04.  I have made sure that all the Rockwell software is cleared out prior to attempting communications with the PanelMate.   As soon as I receive the new battery, I'll re post what events take place.  Again, if anyone knows the exact steps, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks, all.

Edited by Jim Custom

I remember working on a PanelMate lo these many years ago (at least 10) but don't even remember what software it used and certainly can't help you with the steps to follow.

On the HMI where you select pages select more go to offline mode then select serial transfer mode. From the software select File VCP transfer and then you can upload or download. On the right tab you can  also set the comm ports.  If the Upload gives you trouble what I've had to do in the past is cycle power to the HMI then when it starts note the name of the .PPS file then when you select upload then type that name in and it has worked for me.  Do you have the panelmate power pro software?  I do and it says PM config in the working space so I am assuming it is the same.  At work I have made a document with screen shots for the other guys on how to download.  I could possibly send this to you. One other thing to note if it has lost everything when you go to download you many have to download the Executive firmware, then the AB driver, then the config file.