Armadillo852

Solved: Grace Period No Longer?

6 posts in this topic

I just installed RsLogix5000 Version 30 because I needed it for a project. I noticed if I do not have my dongle plugged in, and running just on the 7 day grace period, I am locked out from making any changes. Anyone else come across this issue? What is the reasoning for this? Any work arounds? I hate having my dongle plugged in all the time. Especially because I am a Service tech and you never know where you can set a laptop.

Edited by Armadillo852

That's not normal, in my experience.   I'm running v28 and regularly have to run without the dongle (in a sterile laboratory with air-gap security) but still have full edit capability.

What is your ordinary license;  a Toolkit, or the Standard or Professional licenses ?   Does the software indicate that it's running in Grace Period (with the periodic pop-ups) or does it indicate it's running as Service Edition ?

Any chance you've got a Service Edition activation resident on your PC now ?

Ken,

I guess this is something in version 29 and above. We just went to Version 30 company wide from Version 24, and all of us service techs have the same issue. The Controls guys have their dongles plugged in all the time, so it didn't affect them until I asked a couple of them to unplug their dongle.

We have a Tool Kit. It does popup the annoying grace period box. 

Only difference was version 30. One of the service guys contacted Rockwell, and they gave him the fix. It has to do with modifying some registries. I didn't look at it yet, but can post here when I do in case others have the same issue later.

Thanks for the response Ken.

Hey, thanks for the info !   The newest revision I'm personally running is v28, so I have not encountered this yet.

As the next job I'm doing will be v30, and will involve a fairly remote jobsite, I'm glad I know this ahead of time !

Here is what another service tech sent me. I HAVE NOT DONE THIS YET. I cannot say it works or doesn't work. I am waiting for a response from out IT department before I go messing in the registry. CYA deal there...

Please make a backup before you begin, so if something happens, you can at least go back!

Hey all,
Since upgrading Studio 5000 to version 30 I’ve had issues with my grace period not working and not being able to open RSlogix 5000. A few other people have been having the same problem so I figured I’d get the word out.  
Just a heads up; this involves going into your laptops registry edit. Going off script and changing or accidently deleting something could make your laptop a brick.

First type “regedit” into the search box of the start button, click on “Regedit” then click yes on the dialog box.

For the RSlogix5000 fix go to: HKEY_Current_User\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Start Page
Double click on the “Never Show” entry and change the value to a 1.

For the grace period fix go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSlogix 5000.1\UserInfo.
Double click on the “SerialNum” entry and type in your serial number.

Repeat this step for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSlogix 5000.1\ Support -> ProductID
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSlogix 5000.1\ Latest Version\UserInfo -> SerialNum

Two of these are labeled “Userinfo” but are under different folder locations, make sure you get them both.
After you are finished restart your laptop, then open RSlogix5000 and Studio5000. Click on the “Help” button got to the About page; the serial number should be displayed.