WattUp

GX Works Project with TAGS. Convert back to normal?

20 posts in this topic

We have a machine that was written many years ago as a GX project file, and if I understand correctly then, the PLC and HMI code are linked through a parent project navigator file. 

In the years since, this file has been broken apart somehow, and we are left with a non-simple Ladder file using TAGs and a HMI file.

The issue with this set up is that any changes to the PLC code, can/does result in addresses moving and the HMI breaks. 

Does anyone know a way to convert this code back to a normal simple ladder? 

Edited by WattUp
Spelling

I feel your pain on this one. I have a similar issue and was pretty much told to rewrite it...

I am looking into upgrading the Q CPUs to R CPUs then use Q to R racks when you convert the code over you can untangle the navigator project, or so I am told. You can keep all your I/O , pretty much just costs the R CPU and accessories price. 

I am sure there are others on here who know more but that is what I am looking at.

For the systemQ project :
Don't use the navigator to open the project but use GX works and then save the project as a single file instead of workspace.

Edited by Gambit

5 hours ago, Gambit said:

For the systemQ project :
Don't use the navigator to open the project but use GX works and then save the project as a single file instead of workspace.

Well that was a nice start. Is there a way to convert the Local Label Tags back to normal comments? Maybe export /import option? 

The local labels aren't device related. The comment list is. Or do you wish to copy the global labels to the comment file 

This program is about 70% local labels and 29% global labels. 1% global device comment.  I would like a way to get the Labels pulled out and tie it into the current device as compiled. 

Since the navigator link has been broken, any compile of the PLC code can/does change the device addresses and then the HMI is using the wrong addresses. 

The HMI program should not have any local PLC vars inside. There is no reference in the local vars which indicates to which adres the we're compiled last

I never tried the Navigator for GW2, but if I recall how it "should" work, you can make use of automatically assigned variables from the PLC into the HMI? In other words, you can select not to manually address a device, but you can select to "share" it with the Navigator/HMI? So when you recompile a large code block you also have to update the cross-reference and download to the HMI to update the address links? Or am I missing something?

Does your current project work, you simply want to make changes/updates to it? If so, you can avoid rewriting all the code and do a Simple Ladder upload from the PLC as-is. That way you will get all the code with the current assigned addresses into GW2 (the ones that were assigned during previous download). The only drawback by doing this is that you will not get any comments at all (just the code). But putting in comments after uploading is an easy task when you already have the original source code with comments (it's a pure punching job).

1 person likes this

Just now, kaare_t said:

I never tried the Navigator for GW2, but if I recall how it "should" work, you can make use of automatically assigned variables from the PLC into the HMI? In other words, you can select not to manually address a device, but you can select to "share" it with the Navigator/HMI? So when you recompile a large code block you also have to update the cross-reference and download to the HMI to update the address links? Or am I missing something?

Does your current project work, you simply want to make changes/updates to it? If so, you can avoid rewriting all the code and do a Simple Ladder upload from the PLC as-is. That way you will get all the code with the current assigned addresses into GW2 (the ones that were assigned during previous download). The only drawback by doing this is that you will not get any comments at all (just the code). But putting in comments after uploading is an easy task when you already have the original source code with comments (it's a pure punching job).

You are correct in how the Navigator system is supposed to work.  Every address change is linked through the project files and reflected at the HMI. 

Our current system does work, but our entire Maint. staff is afraid of it because they have been told for years to not modify this code.

Now as the system is aging and we are seeking to modify the process, but in order to do that this issue needs resolved. 

What you are suggesting about reading the file and punching the comments in manually has crossed our mind, but this program is approximately 8 times larger than any other programs so that would be a large scale task. 

Edited by WattUp
additional details

I've been thinking about this case, and I really don't have any other suggestions. I guess it must be done the hard way (by recreating the complete code, or by uploading and commenting the existing code).

I appreciate your help. That was the same conclusion I had come to but had hoped someone might have a better idea. 

No problem, good luck with the task in hand :-)

12 hours ago, Akahige said:

Mitsubishi came out with a tech bulletin on this (R72-141-SLSASG-007). It is available on their website but here is the copy I have downloaded:

TB - iQ Works Navigator Exporting GXW2 Project Procedure.pdf

Nice find!!

1 person likes this

Dear Akahage,

I search for a long time where I can find these technical bulletins.

Can you post a link where I can find it?

@bakkerfrits Go to the Mitsubishi website:

https://us.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/en

On the upper right hand you will see a Sign In and My Mitsubishi link. in order to go to the My Mitsubishi link sign in (create a user's account, free and no obligation required):

signin.png.6e295358776fc2a6af7350b6bf1a2

Once in the My Mitsubishi link (only available after signing in) you can find these documents two ways. Under the the Knowledge base or placing the product number (the number provided in my previous post) in the search engine in the upper right corner:

MyMitsh.png.c244ef52426a5b44fabcf1278f34

Hope this helps.

@bakkerfrits I used the search engine (after sign in) and this resulted:

search.png.e7cdc737c1eb79ea3a1a1a4c071c5

Unfortunately without signing in the search area is limited:

search1.png.57d17fa2eb5d339a78d7e636bb01

Edited by Akahige

I've been stuck in Florida from Irma but finally tried this on my project. 

Unfortunately, i get this error message after step 1c.  I am offline with the PLC for testing though, so I am not sure if the error is because of that or from the project already being broken from the Navigator program. 

MitsError.JPG