JaySharp90

PLC Memory & Pop-ups

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Three quick questions:

I have been referring to a past post about the PLC memory areas  (http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/31572-omron-plc-memory-areas/) that seems to suggest W memory is cleared after a restart but that maybe D memory persists. So if I have a complete shutdown of all power, will whatever I store in D remain the next time I start up?

Also related to memory, in terms of global vs local symbols: if I store a value in some local symbol  i.e. w100 in Program 1, can it be used in a separate program (i.e. w100 in Program 2 is same as W100 in Program 2) or does that require the symbol to be a global symbol?

I'm trying to find out how to trigger a pop-up error message on the HMI screen from the PLC, but I'm a bit lost as to where to start. I'm using a CJ1M-CPU, with an NS series HMI. In (http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/20366-nq-designer-popup-an-alarm/) IO_Rack mentions something about writing values to System Word Memory, but I can't seem to find any information about this. If someone could point me to the correct manual or give me some tips that would be great. I also found something about using Machine Navigator (in V088-E1-03) that sort of looks relevant, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks,

Jay

Edited by JaySharp90

Both D and H areas are memory retentive - W and CIO are not. Battery needs to be in place though. Global symbol required - that is all I use. Have not had to do pop ups.

1 person likes this

Thanks Bob, that's good to know. I've found myself using a lot of global symbols as well but wasn't sure about conventions and the like.

Thanks Jay, I had no idea about the sheets and frames, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind (sorry, I might not have been clear). I have been using the pop-up screens within the HMI fine currently and triggering them with command buttons, but what I was wondering was if I could trigger them via the plc - so some command in cx-programmer. The idea is to run a check of something, say water level in a tank, and if it is too high that sends a signal to the hmi to pop-up a message to the user. Currently I'm just using a red led :/. I'm not fixed on using pop-ups if you can suggest any other way to perform the same function.

Cheers

Make the Pop Up screen as per Jay's document.

The Pop Up screen can be triggered from the PLC using the $SW Allocation Address. After assigning a PLC address for this area in the NS, populate the (Assigned Address +1) with the screen number of your pop up.

MrPLC_PopUp.jpg.00927dc41148c9ccf542b3a5

1 person likes this