Paolo_911

Text Input

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to write a long string as text input in a GOT2000. My issue is that it seems to concatenate the string, or only receives the first couple letters of it. An example string I am trying to enter is ABCDE1234. Would I be able to write this to a D-register? I know the D-registers can only hold a numerical value of 65,535 but what values do alphabetical characters hold? Someone please tell me the best way to program this text input or the best way to use a text input on a GOT. I then need to transfer this data to another PLC over Ethernet, but that isn't an issue as long as I can figure out how to get the text from the GOT into the PLC correctly. 

I may have figured this out, as I realize each text character is 8 bits so it combines two characters (8 bits each) into a 16-bit D-register. I am displaying one D-register so it only shows the first two characters that I entered. I am going out to the machine to test this theory, but I bet that all the others text that was entered is there in the other registers. It just doesn't display. I am guessing I need to have a text display for the other D-registers to show all the characters I need unless I can find a different register (other than D) to store the text input and display it. Not sure if any registers are larger than 16 bits and can store and display more than 2 characters. 

Hey Paolo,

You are right that two characters (2 bytes) are stored in each D register (word - 16 bits). The remainder of the characters are stored in sequential D registers. Mitsubishi does not have 32 bit registers as far as I know. 

How could I display these characters, stored in sequential D-registers, on a GOT? I thought of just adding multiple text displays side-by-side, but wondered if there was a way to display them all in one single text display? 

In the ASCII Input setup screen, adjust digits to 10, to be enough for your string

Attached is a 40 ASCII Charactor display I use to display a parts barcode. 

asciiinput.JPG

Thank you! I think that's what I was missing, was to use an ASCII display instead of a text display. When I chose a text display with 10 digits it only displayed the two characters inside D2510 in your example. So I'm guessing that once I change it to an ASCII display it will then display characters from D2510 ~ D2530 for example. Thanks again!