Stuart_Wales

S7 Loading From Memory Card

10 posts in this topic

We're a Mitsubishi site, but have a few S7's on off the shelf machinery.

One machine we bought has a password on the software, so we have been unable to back up the software. After many awkward conversations, the machine builder has sent us this Seimens SD card (see photos).

When putting this into our laptop, it's only giving us the option to format. Which we obviously don't want to do.

As this is our only known back up, we want to verify that the back up is physically on the card. How can we do this offline without potentially effecting machine in question?

Thanks in advance.

20170718_154142.jpg

20170718_154149.jpg

So you have a S7 3xx CPU. Well this is a memory card for one. The only way to see what's on this is..

Use a a Siemens USB prommer

Use a Siemens pg with built in prommer

Put this card in your CPU and look at the program

Hi mate. Could we load/control/view what's on the card via simatic software?

Stu

not without doing one of the 3 things I posted 

the software alone with a standard reader won't do it 

I think EMDs trick only reads a bin file etc on the card

Edited by jrw

Hi,

as EMD said, do a backcup image of MMC card using s7imgrd.exe.

Then the image can be used for future activities, like restoring or revealing the protection word.

I know from the past, that the moderators do not allow to talk in public about password protection remove.

I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to do

Him want to unprotect the program and then to create backup from PLC 

To do that, one method is by MMC card image.

Once the password is revealed, the backup program of controller can be done or it can be modified as he wants. 

7 hours ago, dekor said:

Him want to unprotect the program and then to create backup from PLC 

To do that, one method is by MMC card image.

Once the password is revealed, the backup program of controller can be done or it can be modified as he wants. 

Er, no...

Let me try and explain a bit better. JRW has been correct...

We have bought a machine with Siemens PLC. As we are not a Siemens site, we got a contractor in to carry out our back up process. Since then, we have got Simatic software. One machine he was unable to back up due to a password protection.

When contacting the machine builders, they will not give us the password, but have supplied a "copy" on the Siemens card as shown in the first post.

The problem I have, is I would like to verify what is on that card before the stage where we would actually need it.

Update: The Siemens S7 we have onsite in our workshop is a 200 series, so no slot for the card. What is the cheapest form of reading that card to verify the program that is on there?

Ok

you want to compare the actual running PLC program with the one stored on MMC card. Is that what you want?

Then, I will do like that: I will insert the copy card into an not used PLC and I will copy the PLC program into PC

next step:

go online with running machine PLC and compare the two programs online with the one that you just saved on PC before 

Step7 has a dedicated function for this task.

For sure you will find differences.

If those are located on DB you may be lucky and you can say that the program is same. But you cannot be 100%... Most of the time it is ok when differences are located on DB.

1 person likes this