Stuart_Wales

Extension Racks (Q-Series)

8 posts in this topic

We're maxed out on our I/O rack, and talking with my local mitsi rep, have the following options:

Q52B Extension base with 2 I/O slots £77.00 15%

Q55B Extension base with 5 I/O slots £119.00 15%

Q33B CPU base with 3 I/O slots and 1 power supply slot £114.00 15%

Q35B CPU base with 5 I/O slots and 1 power supply slot £130.50 15%

Q61P 100-240 AC input, 5V DV, 6A output £145.00 15%

QC06B Connection cable between base units, 0.6m £65.00 15%

1. How can I work out whether or not i'll need a power supply or not on the additional slots?

2. Has anyone got the data sheets or manuals for the above parts? Google and mitsi website isn't giving me much.

Thanks.

Not that it's going to help - but I have put a few extension racks in without a power supply.

To be honest, it never crossed my mind. They worked fine and that was the end _ they were just for extra digital I/O though.

I don't know if that changes if you are putting intelligent units in

I'm only adding 4 inputs and outputs, then Ethernet to a vision system... but don't want to restrict the use of the full capability of I/O in the future. So would like to understand the calc used to determine if a new power supply is needed. My guy says no, but as I've never done it before I thought I'd ask.

I'm hoping there's a quicker way than me trawling through everything on the rack :slydog:

Thanks Gambit.

So this is my map below. 4.115A total, yeah? So no need for another PSU??

untitled.png

Scrap that. I had the bottom back plate added. When picking one without a CPU, it tells me i'm good to go.

Thank you Gambit, as always!!

untitled1.png

Your are welcome ...as always !!! 

1 person likes this

Just to be pedantic, and perhaps avoid some future confusion...

The Q3xx racks are main racks, and require a power supply and at least one CPU. The Q6xx racks (as you have in the first setup) are powered extension racks, and require a power supply (not a CPU). The Q5xx racks (your final selection) are un-powered extension racks, and don't require a power supply.

In any configuration, you need to make sure that you have enough 5V backplane power to power the modules. The tool makes this easy, of course, though you can always calculate it using the specs for each module. You had enough power left for your additional modules, so you were fine to use an unpowered extension rack. If that had not been the case, you could have used a powered extension rack (with a power supply) to add more power into the system.

CPUs can only go on the main racks. You can have up to four, but they must be all the way to the left on the rack, with no other modules between them. Incidentally, the third character in the part number indicates the number of I/O slots, and does not include the power supply slot or the first CPU slot. For example:

Q35B - 1 power supply slot, 1 CPU slot, 5 module slots

Q65B - 1 power supply slot, 5 module slots

Q55B - 5 modules slots

1 person likes this