jkk912

help with mitsubishi plc

4 posts in this topic

Got some new equipment coming in and it is using a FX3G-24M plc. I've been having difficulty getting a clear answer on what kind of software and cable i will need to communicate with this controller.

I have GX developer and per Mitsubishi's website this should cover FX series controllers, however when I go to the drop down menu to select the model this particular controller is not listed. Maybe I just need a newer version of developer? I also have GX works 2 available to me as well but I have not dealt with Mitsubishi before so I'm ignorant as to what the difference between the software is.

In regards to the cable. Per Mitsubishi's website for the FX series it shows both a RS-422 (if i recal correctly) and a mini usb connection. Does this mean you can use either method to communicate? Will I be able to read/write with either cable or does one only support certain features?  

The correct software package is GX Works 2, which replaced GX Developer for all but the oldest Mitsubishi PLCs. The FX3G does have a mini USB port, so you can use a standard mini USB cable, such as you might use for a digital camera. The PLC also has an RS422 programming port, for which you would use an SC-09 cable with a USB to serial adapter. There are USB versions of the SC-09 available also. All of the cable options give the same features and performance in my experience. I usually use the mini USB cable.

Your GX Dev needs an update to cover the FX3G

GX Works 2 will cover it

I have both but still use GX Dev as a first choice.

Then again - I still used medoc until I was forced to change. :)