Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndrewG

6200 to RSLogix5

5 posts in this topic

I have an old 6200 series software project and I'm trying to convert it to RSLogix5. But I cannot get the documentation database to import.

I followed the instructions in the RSLogix5 user manual and the Knowledgebase: I opened RSLogix5 and opened the old 6200 .AF5 file. I got the file open but the database (the Bit descriptions etc) did not import. So I went to Tools, then Database, then Native Import, then selected the .OP$ file. I got an error message saying "Could not import the AB 6200 documentation database files".

I called Rockwell tech support but they told me the only guy who is familiar with this is on vacation.

Without the database nothing has any descriptions and I have no idea what most of the logic does.

Any suggestions?

44 minutes ago, kaiser_will said:

The old 6200-series project must be pushed out with, ASCII Export, with descriptions turned ON.  http://control.com/thread/1005348876#1005348876

Do I need a DOS computer to run the 6200 software? I could not find much info on the 6200 software on the Rockwell site. The oldest PC I have is Windows XP.

Thanks

An update: I found an older version of the project. The original programmer/field service tech probably made some revisions. I converted the older version of the project to RSLogix5 and imported the documentation database without any issues. Then I did an ASCII export on the database. Then I opened the newer version of the project (the one that was converted to RSLogix5 but missing the database) and imported the ASCII database from the older project. So now hopefully I have the latest version of the logic with enough descriptions to get by.

Just now, AndrewG said:

An update: I found an older version of the project. The original programmer/field service tech probably made some revisions. I converted the older version of the project to RSLogix5 and imported the documentation database without any issues. Then I did an ASCII export on the database. Then I opened the newer version of the project (the one that was converted to RSLogix5 but missing the database) and imported the ASCII database from the older project. So now hopefully I have the latest version of the logic with enough descriptions to get by.

All you will need to do is upload to get all of the current logic into the project file so it will be the latest & greatest.

NOTE: You will not get any new/edited rung comments, address descriptions, instruction comments, symbols, and page titles that may have been added to the project after the older version you found... but it wouldn't take long to add the new documentation as you determine its use.