ahelwa

BIU card in PLC 6 +

3 posts in this topic

Dear Sirs,

I have PLC 6 + and I have a a BIU card that connected to 3 DC Drives and I will migrate to a new RX3i  and the company told me that they have some problems in transferring this card by leaving the drives without upgrading so is there any way to leave the DC drives without changing and change only the PLC ? 

There is no migration path from the Series Six BIU module to the Rx3i. The Series Six went obsolete in the early 1990s. Your drives are most likely just as old. The Rx3i supports many different networking methods, but it is unlikely your drives can be retrofitted with interface modules for today's options. The ties between GE's PLC division and its drives division were much closer back when the Series Six and the DC300 were their respective flagship product lines.

" so is there any way to leave the DC drives without changing and change only the PLC ?  "

I believe that given enough time and money there is always a way, however, as Steve indicated it will likely be more efficient to update all of the 25+ year old hardware rather than spending time and money to interface it now only to be forced to replace it when it could quit working at any moment.