Stuart_Wales

Using Ethernet As I/O (Q Series)

9 posts in this topic

Hi Lads,

I've got a project where I have run out of I/O, and need to add a vision system for 150 odd programs. Camera rep says Ethernet connection is the best method for this quantity of programs, but we have low experience on using Ethernet as I/O on site.

Can someone suggest a card we could use that'll attach to our Q series rack. I'll do some reading then. I've got a spare QJ71E71100 on my desk; could this be used?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to have ethernet IO then you will need a a protocol over ethernet so It would be modbus TCP/IP or CC-Link IE.

But for this you would need other modules than the QJ71E71-100. (modbus QJ71MT91 or CC-Link IE Field QJ71GF11-T2)
I would choose IE Field for the IO if possible. ( You would need a managed switch if you want the vision to be connect on the same  switch.

Which  vision are you using Cognex, Datalogic  these are E-factory partner of Mitsubishi.

Hi Gambit.

I'll have to check, but I'm sure there is already some sort of cc-link card on the rack as it's handling recipe data from another HMI and the final assy & test machine. Alongside that, we're using Modbus on site for our OEE, so can have a good read into both.

Keyance looks to be the choice of vision system for this project.

I have used a Q03UDV and a Keyence CV-X series camera using only Ethernet I/O to control it.  

If this is the camera system you are using, I will post up the guides and files that I used

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, WattUp said:

I have used a Q03UDV and a Keyence CV-X series camera using only Ethernet I/O to control it.  

If this is the camera system you are using, I will post up the guides and files that I used

Hi Mate, yeah it's the CV-X400A. I'd would very much appreciate any guides.

Also, how are you getting on with the camera??

We have 4 of these camera setups in our plant. the first 2 were done using physical I/O. It works but it basically takes a dedicated I/O card to handle it. This Ethernet I/O option has been great, plus it is easier to deploy now that we have the examples. 

{ I broke the attachment section, Attachments to follow}

The CV-X Melsoft manual shows you how to link the two together

ANNEX 3 of the Eth_IO PDF attached has all of the command codes you will need to send from your PLC.

I also have a minimal program that was my first camera<->plc logic. 

CV-X100_ETH_IO.pdf

ToxCameraSetup.gxw

2 people like this

I'll have a look after, but thank you very much for this!

No problem. Sorry for the delay in reply. I couldn't find that manual with the command codes, and that was pretty important to getting this running.