EB

How to import Read/Write tags for Ethernet/ip connection in Sysmac

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a NX1P2 PLC and I am setting up an Ethernet/IP connection between this and a micrometer. I know in Allen Bradly, as soon as we inport the EDS file, it create the read/write/control tags but I do not know how to do it with Omron & Sysmac. any idea?

Edited by EB

NJ/NX-series CPU Unit Built-in EtherNet/IPTM Port (Cat. No. W506). You can find it in (Start Menu\Programs\OMRON\Sysmac Studio\Manual\NJ_NX Series)

Instructions are in Appendix A-2-2.

It doesn't create any tags, that is up to the programmer.

I think what he meant is the AOP (Add On Profile) function available on Rockwell.
It shows directly what are the "mappable" tags inside the device.

Unfortunately with current Omron we only know the Input and Output tag byte size, and decode the meaning by ourselves from datasheet.

On 8/5/2017 at 1:16 PM, innoaloe said:

I think what he meant is the AOP (Add On Profile) function available on Rockwell.
It shows directly what are the "mappable" tags inside the device.

Unfortunately with current Omron we only know the Input and Output tag byte size, and decode the meaning by ourselves from datasheet.

He said the tags it creates.  Rockwell actually creates a set of tags for the data when used to set up an EIP connection.  As I stated, Omron has no such feature to automatically create the tags.

Hi Guys, sorry to bump an old thread.

What is the point in the EDS file, which list all the parameters for where the device information is stored, if sysmac doesnt make use of this to access this information.

Im coming from a rockwell background, and this is very frustrating.

EDS files contain a lot of information necessary to identify the device and make the connection. I'm not sure if tag information is omitted in the ODVA standard or simply not required. Have a look at Appendix A of this document:  https://www.odva.org/Portals/0/Library/Publications_Numbered/PUB00213R0_EtherNetIP_Developers_Guide.pdf

Allen Bradley does a lot of non ODVA functions. They have been supporting EIP for a long time and most vendors test and adjust for them.

2 hours ago, sycogoat said:

What is the point in the EDS file, which list all the parameters for where the device information is stored, if sysmac doesnt make use of this to access this information.

Sysmac does make use of this to access the information.  This is the point of the EDS file.  It describes how the NJ is to communicate to the device over EtherNet/IP.  It then uses this information for the synchronous (Implicit messaging) exchange of data with the device.

What Sysmac Studio does not yet do is built a data type with appropriate labels that matches the device's I/O structure.  This is not an EDS function, but an AOP (Add On Profile) function as mentioned earlier in the thread.  I agree that this would be a useful function to have.  I believe that this functionality has been requested, but I do not know the status of this request at this point.

hey guys, sorry to bump up this old thread but I was wondering if any of you knew if this is still the case with the omron plc's? I'm familiar with Allen Bradley and will work on an Omron project soon.