craisondigital

Restore PLC communication to Panelview

13 posts in this topic

I had communication working between panelview and PLC by changing the IP of the panelview to same network as PLC.

A maintenance tech removed the IO module with the machine running and we have now lost communication. 

It gets stuck now loading the RsLogix symbols.

After 5 min. It lets me continue, but I see ? Instalead of sensor values.

when I go to terminal settings on panelview and set to dhcp, it loads the RsLogix symbols and the program, but I still get the ? Marks instead of values..

i also noticed the IO led on PLC is now off and am pretty sure it was on when all was working..

any advice?? Thanks for your time

What PLC?  If it's not a ControlLogix PLC, you may very well have a damaged PLC now.

Try turning off power and putting the IO module (or a new one) back in, then powering it back up.  Check for PLC faults.

The only PLC I know of that it's OK to hot-swap modules is ControlLogix.  All others need to be powered off before removing/inserting modules.

Thanks Joe, how would I look for PLC faults.  BTW. The maintenance Tech didn't remove the whole module, he removed the wiring from inside.  I cannot figure out how to remove the actual module.  I followed along this video, but ours still seems locked in place and I cannot remove it.  I do think the IO module is working as when I manully open a valve, the sensor lights light up.

The IO Light on the PLC is not lit though.  I think this is the problem.  The IO module is no longer talking to the PLC.

CompactLogix L32E...Page 86, CompactLogix does not support removal and insertion under power.  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um011_-en-p.pdf

How does one look for CompactLogix PLC faults?  Page 131 of the User Manual displays how to diagnose faults with the built-in status lights.

If the user manual does not identify the fault, one will have to go online with Logix/Studio 5000 and refer to the Logix5000 programming manual (which has in-depth fault code lists).  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm014_-en-p.pdf

Thank you.  so it seems, based off the manual, that I/O light off means the following..

1. There are no devices in the I/O configuration of the controller.

2. The controller does not contain a project.

Assuming it's option 2, Is it possible to reload the project to the controller w/o Rockwell Software (IE: flash card)..  I should have all necessary files.  I've loaded a .mer to the PanelView in the past, but have never had to load to the PLC..

Assuming it's option 1, I'm not sure what I should try here. 

Thanks for the help.

plc_error.PNG

The other LEDs on the processor will also give you a clue as to what's going on.  What are they showing?

The same manual that covers the LEDs also has a section on using the CF card.

Thank you.  From what I can tell by reviewing the manual is that I will pretty much need the RSlogix software to make changes and further test the PLC.  We don't need to make any changes to the program etc, once it's running, so it is not worth it for me to buy this.  

My next step, I'm assuming, is to find someone local who has the software??  

BTW. We are in Sarasota FL, if anyone is close by.

The problem is solved!  The program was somehow lost from the PLC.  I found someone w/ the software to reload the program to the PLC and all is working now!

CompactLogix L32E processors have an internal battery backup (#1769-BA); Chapter 10.  The processor has an indicator light for the battery health; the battery can support retaining processor memory as long as the BAT light is energized (when the processor is de-energized).  The user manual identifies how the expected battery life is de-rated based on panel temperature.  You could be experiencing a failed battery if the processor is powered down and the battery is disconnected (or depleted).

Predictive Maintenance schedule, spare battery, having communication cables & programming software (or local resource to support you) and current program backups.  These steps may save your bacon.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um011_-en-p.pdf