Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrVagabond

Trying to communicate with powerfocus with generic Ethernet module

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! So I am having trouble communicating with a power focus 4000 using a generic Ethernet module.

I am a contractor just integrating a companies tools into a build line so they have already set up the powerfocus with an IP address. I can ping that IP address if I connect the Ethernet cable going to the L73 control logix Ethernet card to my laptop. 

When I set up the generic Ethernet module though, it always gives a communications timed out fault. I am guessing it is because I have the wrong assembly instances, but I am not certain.

i can't find any documentation in the powerfocus manual that says what I should put for the assembly instances for input, output, or configuration. I have tried some general ones (like 101, 102, 1) as well as some that I've used in the past for interfacing with power focus (100,150,5). But no matter what I try I can't get the plc to communicate with the power focus, even though I can ping it.

any ideas?

Does the unit documentation specifically mention that it supports Ethernet IP? I saw something about TCP/IP but that's not the same thing.

Actually I just found the assembly instances in the manual. They are 100, 150, and 5 with a size of 0 for the configuration.

it was under a section for Ethernet ip, so it must support it.

unfortunately this did not seem to fix my communication problem. Even though I can ping it, I get a request time out fault when trying to connect.

Ok, let me toss this out here. In the manual It has bytes to and from the pf and says that the size must be set to the same in both the pf and the plc. If these sizes were different could that cause a communication error or would it throw up a different kind of error?

Edit: I checked and we are both set to send and receive 16 bytes, so that wasn't it.

Edited by MrVagabond