Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wmick

GE Series One "E2" dead battery maybe??

5 posts in this topic

Hi folks.... I have a piece of machinery with a GE Series One PLC (1985)...
We had the machine powered down for a couple weeks due to a mechanical repair...
No electrical was touched.
When I powered it back up... The PLC went straight to "E2" and will not respond to "CLR" at all....
I fear that we may have had the battery go dead and I've lost my program...
Can anybody confirm what my symptoms suggest?? or have any advice?

Appreciate any help..
Thanks
wmick

From page 4-7 of GEK-90842, E02 is "Fault in Series One program structure such as an input reference used as an output. Your response depends on whether your CPU is a Series One or a Series One Plus. If a Series One, just press "CLR" and the address of the logic element that generated will be displayed. If a Series One Plus, you press "CLR", then "SRCH", then "CLR". After locating the address, press "NXT" to display the instruction.

I just powered up a Series One Plus that has been sitting on the shelf for years. I had to remove all of the I/O modules before I could get any diagnostics. The "BATT" LED was lit indicating a dead battery, but I did not get an E02 error.

Series One components are still available from Automation Direct as the DL305.

Thanks very much Steve...
I'm going to go take another look...
I'm not certain is it is a "Plus" or not.... It wasn't responding to "CLR" at all, but haven't tried the "CLR", then "SRCH", then "CLR" yet....
Going to give it a try... fingers crossed.

Doesn't look like mine is a "Plus" but tried it anyway... Still no luck... removed IOs and tried again... No Luck....
just wont respond to anything.
I think its crippled.?
I don't feel very confident that I can recover the program from a 20+ year old cassette tape, either...
So if its "reprogram from scratch", I think I'll bite the bullet and install a new PLC.
Luckily I have a hard copy of the program to work from.
Really appreciate your help Steve.

In case you don't already have it, the Series One Plus manual is in the GE area of the Downloads section here at MrPLC.

I agree that if you have to reprogram from scratch your best bet is to reprogram a new PLC.