craisondigital

Find password from .mer or .apa

13 posts in this topic

We have a sterilizer w/ Allen Bradley controls which we bought at auction.  It has a panelview plus 1000.  It came with a CD containing .mer and .apa files.  I was able to load the .mer file via the configuration screen by using the external CF card.  When I run the application, their is a login button in the bottom right which when pushed brings up a user/password screen.  We do not know the user/password for this.  Is it possible to find the password by somehow reviewing the files.  We do not have any software, and do not want to make any changes to the program (rather than changing the password).  I've attached the files in case anyone can help.

Also, was i correct to load the .mer file??  or should I be using the .apa?  I followed these instructions here.

http://www.judiwa.com/2010/10/05/how-to-copy-panelview-plus-application-with-compact-flash-card/

Thanks for your time

PA1525_PVP1000.mer

PA1525_PVP1000.apa

I don't think it's  possible to find the passwords, but I did find the user names in the apa file:

ADMINISTRATOR

OPERATOR

TECHNICIAN

Normally, when there's a password set, the password field in the runtime security dialog box shows up as dots, but the password fields for all 3 are blank.  Try logging in as each of them with no password and see what happens.

RuntimeSecurity3.20.png.ba79180602279779

Of course, if they're using a runtime 4.00 or later, all bets are off...  As I recall, the 4.00 runtime security looks at logins that are saved in the PC or are Windows logins that are not available even by restoring the apa archive.  I tried to restore the mer file, but it said that it was compiled in a version too old, which means it's pre v5, but it could be either 3.2 or 4.0.

I also had to convert the project to my version of View Studio (8.10), so it's possible that the passwords got lost in the conversion from v4.0.

If you bought an OEM piece of equipment, you would think that there would be an O&M Manual and the passwords would be recorded there.

Generally, most people use the Windows users.

Have you called the OEM?

Some of us get a fancier and go login/logout through the PLC.  Did they give you a backup of PLC (.ACD or RSS)?  Look at the login and logout macros for each user, it might point you back to some array tags in the PLC and you might see the passwords in there.

Post the .ACD and one of us might figure it out.

Edited by pcmccartney1

It's been a long time since i've programmed  PV plus but if you have the APA file can't you just edit the password to be nothing and compile / upload that?

14 hours ago, Michael Lloyd said:

It's been a long time since i've programmed  PV plus but if you have the APA file can't you just edit the password to be nothing and compile / upload that?

Yes, but the OP doesn't have the software.

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone for the info!  I tried the three usernames with no password, but no luck..  I found a sticker on the machine for Gettinge (the manufacturer) I called the number and they were able to give me the username and password!!

Now i am logged in, but appear to be getting no communications from the PLC. I'm getting ? instead of values..

One thing to note is that the original machine, the panelview had a corrupt internal flash card, so i ordered a used panel view logic module and used that flash card in my module.  Maybe that's causing a problem??

25 minutes ago, craisondigital said:

Thanks everyone for the info!  I tried the three usernames with no password, but no luck..  I found a sticker on the machine for Gettinge (the manufacturer) I called the number and they were able to give me the username and password!!

Now i am logged in, but appear to be getting no communications from the PLC. I'm getting ? instead of values..

One thing to note is that the original machine, the panelview had a corrupt internal flash card, so i ordered a used panel view logic module and used that flash card in my module.  Maybe that's causing a problem??

Is the Manufacturer of the Sterilizer, Primus by chance?

No, i believe the manufacturer is  Getinge.  Here is an attachment of the screenshot i am getting

IMG_2577.JPG.d9e9ab0fd03a927d9ed39c5125a

The .mer has a communications shortcut that should be pointing to the PLC at a specific  address.  If you can get to the PVs communications setup and view the device shortcut, you might be able to determine the IP of the PLC and verify that the PV is in the same subnet.  Worst case, I think you edit the shortcut and possible get comms working again.

Great thank you.  Do you know how to get to the PV's communication and view the shortcut??  I am newb but follow directions well.  Their is an external CF card plugged into the PLC.  It has a Logix folder, and a System Volume Information folder on this card.  I can upload if helpful.

Actually now that i think about it, i think you are reffering to the config mode of PV.  Yes i can get there.  Could you provide steps as to what I should be looking for?  i navigated through the network setup section but as i mentioned am newb and not sure what I'm looking for.  I did find the IP of the PV.

Here are some more pics from PV config mode where i found IP info..

IMG_2579.JPG.91854f0471ca7bce046d24e714eIMG_2578.JPG.583aa0d5ed442b1bb0c751893ce

I got it working!!! Thanks everyone for the help.  I noticed in my pictures that the PV was on different subnet as pcmcartney1 mentioned.  I figured out how to change the IP of the panel view to the same subnet and it is working now!!  So glad i found this forum. Thanks again for all of the help!!

1 person likes this