Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinebuilder

Flex I/O

10 posts in this topic

1794-ANET, How in the world do I let the PLC use the I/O. I got all the addressing done, but now how does the PLC use the I/O. It seems to do things in AB world you need 15 different manuals to do something. No where is there a setup to map the external Flex IO.  I am able to see the plc and Flex IO in RSLInx, all green lights, but no connection between the two.

In the project tree, goto EtherNet, right click and add the AENT.  Then specify the addressing, stick length and then add the modules as children of the AENT..

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this

I am using RS500, there is no Ethernet in the project tree, at least I do not see it. Don't tell me I have to buy thousand dollar software to make this work.

RS500 with a Micrologix 1100.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the MicroLogix processors don't support networked I/O.

1 person likes this

I belive that the only networked IO is possible through a DNet module and only for a couple of the MicroLogix processors.

1 person likes this

EDIT:  I'm not going to lecture you on this.   I'm just irritated that you seem to blame A-B for a basic features/functions issue that is very widely understood.

MicroLogix are built to be standalone small machine controllers.   They're the little brothers to the SLC-500 family and they've been using the RSLogix 500 software since 1995.

It's well known that the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers with built-in Ethernet use that network for messaging and for online monitoring and editing, but not for I/O.

The only "remote I/O" for MicroLogix family controllers is the ability to add a 1769-SDN DeviceNet scanner to the MicroLogix 1500.   While it was a neat little controller in its time, the MicroLogix 1500 (and to a degree, DeviceNet networking) have largely been superceded by higher-capacity, more highly-featured controllers and devices.

If you have a system that needs Ethernet I/O, the minimum controller you need is a CompactLogix.     If you haven't used CompactLogix or ControlLogix controllers before, you're in for a toolset (Studio 5000 Logix Designer, the Mini version at least) and a bit of a learning curve for the tag-based architecture.

Get a CompactLogix selection guide and look at what each controller will do.   The little 1769-L16 and -L18 controllers can run a limited number of EtherNet/IP nodes, like your Flex I/O.

Edited by Ken Roach
2 people like this

Read the literature.  Logix500 has been around a LONG time. Every, EVERY, control platform has gotchas.

Step back...which MicroLogix processor are you working with?  How many remote I/O do you want to add and their variety (analog, discrete, NPN, PNP, etc.)?

Sorry to get on AB so much, but it seems you need expensive software to do something or the equipment is expensive . Since it uses Ethernet/IP i maybe able to use explicit messaging to communicate with it. i am having a hard time finding the manual to tell me what the  class, instances, etc settings are.   I decided to use a different brand plc to do this. this plc will communicate to the AB if I can find out what settings i need. I realize there are some hard core AB out there, but AB needs to step up their game. No longer are new users willing to spend thousands of dollars for software and expensive equipment. There are more cost effective plcs with much more abilities. I sill use AB when requested to. I like the software but it has limited abilities compared to others. the equipment if very reliable too.  I will not name the brand but they just came out with new plc programming and hardware that is unbelievable. It will communicate in many ways without the need for additional software to many external equipment, including AB. They are constantly upgrading and adding new programming features. And it is all free!  Anyhow if I could find the info I need I may still be able to use the Flex Io

21 hours ago, machinebuilder said:

I realize there are some hard core AB out there, but AB needs to step up their game. 

I like the software but it has limited abilities compared to others

I don't understand how you can say this when you didn't do the homework to make sure the hardware you selected would do what you wanted it to do? Not to mention the decision to use previous generation hardware and to somehow state that they have limited capabilities because you're trying to cram a square peg into a round hole. Sounds like you just picked something off the shelf assuming it would work. 

1 person likes this