machinebuilder

Bit Shift Left BSL

4 posts in this topic

Can someone explain with an example how the BSL works. There are no examples in the help files. They do explain what each field does, not no example. The manual is worse, the example uses bits that are not even the same in the little diagram they use. Just looking for a simple explanation i can understand.

Lets say you have a 16 bit integer 12345. The bit pattern for it is 0011 1000 0011 1001. If you BSL 3 times everything shifts to the left 3 places, 0's fill in the rightmost values.

0011 1000 0011 1001

becomes

1100 0001 1100 1000

(hopefully I got that right, it's been a while since I've used BSL) 

I made a vid on this a while back.  It's usually in our paid content, but I moved it to the sample videos for you.  Hope it helps:

http://www.plcmentor.com/Training-Videos/PLC-Training-Videos/Allen-Bradley-Rockwell-Automaton/RSLogix-500/RSLogix-500-Instruction-Set-Videos.aspx

Or you can just go to the site and follow menu:  PLC training videos/RSLogix 500 instruction set

You will have to register on the site to login but the BSR/BSL video will be in the sample video listing.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, machinebuilder said:

Can someone explain with an example how the BSL works. There are no examples in the help files. They do explain what each field does, not no example. The manual is worse, the example uses bits that are not even the same in the little diagram they use. Just looking for a simple explanation i can understand.

Not sure of the platform or software you're using but Version 21 of RSLogix5000 software has 2 examples in the help file.

1 person likes this