Andy_Gowen

Micro Logix 1400 and Automation Direct EA9 via Ethernet

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am still fairly new to this forum and PLC's in general. I am trying to connect a EA9 touch panel via Ethernet to an Allen Bradley Micro Logix 1400 PLC. I am using Ethernet over serial because I need the serial connection to program while using the touch panel. I have given the Panel the IP Address 192.168.1.20 with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and I have given the PLC the IP address 192.168.1.10 with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The panel is not communicating with the PLC and I have very little knowledge on the subject, anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

The picture on the top is from the PLC and the picture on the bottom is from the C-More program for the panel.

MIcro.PNG

EA9.PNG

Edited by Andy_Gowen

I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the address on the EA9 side (192.168.10.20) was set under DEV001.  I haven't used the EA panels in a while, but I believe the DEV001 address needs to be the PLC address (192.168.10.10) and the EA9 address needs to be set directly under Ethernet Port.

Looks like I didn't give the panel an IP address and this was causing problems, as well as i had to set my mask in the plc to all zeros

Panel 1.PNG

Panel 2.PNG

PLC.PNG

1 person likes this

I do a lot of EA9's to AB and never had to set the mask to zero. Did you try 255, 255, 254, 0? In one of our plants the IT set up for wider addresses and I had to use the 254 and it worked fine. The AD panels are so much easier to use and you can do quite a bit with them connected to the AB plc's. You can still program the PLC  and the HMI through ethernet, just make sure the plc, hmi and computer have different addresses. It is so much faster programming through ethernet. The C-Mores have all the drivers you need to use them with AB.

I did not try 255.255.254.0, it seems to be working fine now though. The company I work for has a rather annoying and intrusive security software, sometimes programing with Ethernet is more trouble than it is worth because of this.