Paolo_911

Upgrade to FX or Q?

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I need to upgrade an FX3G-24MR/ES, along with an FX1S and FX0N, due to a need for additional I/O. My initial thought was to upgrade to a Q03UDE, which is the newer better model obviously, but the electricial/electrician manager and another engineer feel as though sticking with an FX would be cheaper. I don't doubt that it will be cheaper. although still waiting on a quote to figure out how much cheaper it will be. I am wondering if any has any projections as to whether the FX3 will be obsolete anytime soon or whether the Q series PLC will be also in the near future. I know a Q is nicer, easier to use, faster and allows more expansion and flexibility, although I see the reason behind using something most cost effective and still meets our demand, which isn't speed or complexity. I would love for anyone to weigh in on the situation. I was told by a Mitsubishi rep that the R series is set to replace the Q and thus an FX5 is now the better version of an FX3 even though it is quite different. I am not familiar with either and new to the Mitsubishi world so any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!    

They bring out new models every year but millions of Mitsu plc's are still chugging away 20 -30 years down the line.

You can add extra I/O to 2 of those mentioned very cheaply.

If I had a working FXnn and needed extra I/O I would just plug in an extension unit (presuming they are not maxed out)

1 person likes this

Hi Paolo_911,

The FX5U has many advantages over other FX models. You will need to let us know more about your configuration. Number of digital inputs and outputs, analog inputs and outputs, need for fast counters, PID regulators, servo drives, communication and more. Of course this PLC is of a lower class compared to the Q series and the price will be significantly smaller.

The best regard,

K. Raykov

I agree with Ron_S. Unless you need some type of technology on available in the Q I would stick with what you have that works.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Good luck.