kosmosisx

Program could not compile!

12 posts in this topic

So after hours searching google and looking through everything I could find here, I have an issue that has stumped me for quite some time and was wondering if you might be able to help. I frequently make online edits to our SLC 5/05 that runs our process. We are constantly evolving the process to make improvements, and we are a 24 hour operation, so that means stopping to download is not entirely happy times. Lately in the middle of making changes I have been getting the pop up error that says 'Program could not be compiled! Online Edit Error Going Offline'. Then if I don't shut the process down and do a download, sometime later(usually about 8 or 9 hours) the program loaded on the 5/05 becomes corrupt and the process stops in a bad way. I have tried the techconnect bulletin for RSLinx that changes the CIP connection parameters, and that seems to only have made it worse, so I set it back to default. I am thinking that I will try changing the CPU next. I cannot upload the program, as it is considered proprietary by my company, but if you look at my screenshot you can see the rung I was editing when it happened most recently. The compare for greater than T104:39.ACC was what I was changing, and I changed the value from 490 to 499. I got the first 9 typed when this happened this particular time. It seems to be random and it doesn't seem to matter what part of the program I am working on either. Also, it appears that we have plenty of CPU memory left. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

noncompile.JPG

Capture.JPG

I was in this situation a couple years ago with a coworker, but we were working on a PLC5 (RSLogix5). We could not figure out what to do about this issue. Finally we did have to tell the managers that we had to stop the system to download to the PLC.

Stopping and downloading isn't necessarily the issue I have, it's more so that I can't make the needed programming changes and test them out and correct any mistakes without stopping the process, which is a big deal, since I'm definitely not an expert and frequently have to change my ladder logic multiple times to get the desired result.

9 hours ago, kosmosisx said:

Stopping and downloading isn't necessarily the issue I have, it's more so that I can't make the needed programming changes and test them out and correct any mistakes without stopping the process, which is a big deal, since I'm definitely not an expert and frequently have to change my ladder logic multiple times to get the desired result.

I hear you, actually I am very interested if anyone knows how to deal with this issue, or if you figure it out eventually, as I did have this issue myself too but never figured out how to resolve it.

When you go into the Controller Properties, how much memory does it say your project takes up and how much is left over.

Online edits require memory in the processor until they are assembled.

Low available memory might be a problem.

1 person likes this

I'm not on my work computer at the moment, so I don't have the screenshot I took, but it appears that it's only a little over 50% capacity. Thank you for your response!

I have seen this issue before as well. But mine was because I first did not accept the pending edits before I tried to verify them. 

On 6/2/2017 at 6:20 AM, Armadillo852 said:

I have seen this issue before as well. But mine was because I first did not accept the pending edits before I tried to verify them. 

Verify comes before Accept in the edit process.

5 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Verify comes before Accept in the edit process.

Sorry, but you are wrong. 

After performing online edits, the user should have accepted these edits before attempting to verify them.

Please see Knowledgebase 45674

8 hours ago, Armadillo852 said:

Sorry, but you are wrong. 

After performing online edits, the user should have accepted these edits before attempting to verify them.

Please see Knowledgebase 45674

In RSLogix 500, verify comes first. I just tested this with a couple of online edits. Before accepting the rung edits verify rung is black and selectable. After accepting the rung edits it is gray and no longer selectable.

5 hours ago, kosmosisx said:

In RSLogix 500, verify comes first. I just tested this with a couple of online edits. Before accepting the rung edits verify rung is black and selectable. After accepting the rung edits it is gray and no longer selectable.

You're right. I'm not sure what Armadillo's KB article has to say on the matter, but for all of the time I've used the software...

When online, Verify checks for proper syntax, instruction placement, shorted output branches, non-addressed/incomplete instructions, etc.

If errors exist, the rung marker remain as is (lower case).

If no errors exist, the software acknowledges that fact BUT the edit(s) remain(s) in the RAM of the computer that the edit is being performed on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When online, Accept does a Verify (checks for proper syntax, instruction placement, shorted output branches, non-addressed/incomplete instructions etc.)

If errors exist, the rung marker remain as is (lower case).

If no errors exist, the software acknowledges that fact BUT the edit(s) are copied from the RAM of the computer that the edit is being performed on into the controller

In addition, if the controller is in Program or Remote Program. The edit(s) are now a permanent part of the project file in the controller and nothing else is required. They won't be getting scanned though.

If the controller is in Remote Run when there is a successful Accept of the edit(s), the edit(s) in the RAM of the computer performing the edit(s) are copied into the controller and the rungs affected by the edit(s) change to Upper case letters that are either "I" (if the rung is a new addition) or "I" & "R" (if the rung is an edit made to an existing rung.)

At this point a Test of the edits is performed and if everything is successful, an Assemble is performed. The changes are then permanently part of the project file in the controller.

Later Edit: After having reviewed the Knowledgebase article that Armadillo referenced, I can see where the confusion lies. The term Verify is the culprit.

If you use the Verify buttons at the top of the screen, they are Verifying the current ladder file or entire project file. I'm not sure why anyone would use either one while online but...different strokes. I use the Verify Project button when offline and about to download so I know if the project is correct.

The Verify Rung option is selected in the context menu immediately to the left of the ladder rung. It can be used online or offline. (But as I referenced above, using it online is redundant as the Accept verifies AND transfers the changes to the controller.)

Edited by Filthy McNasty
Clarification