Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_Chido

How to add Logic?

7 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I am not an AB expert, so I have a question, please help me. I'm using RSLogix 500 to add two subrutines to an existing program on an SLC that is running on site. On my laptop I have an old version of the program plus the new subrutines, but the PLC on site has been altered so I can not just download the new program. Is there a way to copy and paste my subrutines to that old program? or do I have to type it rung by rung and add teh database too?? Thanks a lot for your help.

make a copy of your program, then "Upload - Use File" and navigate to the copy. this will read the existing PLC program but use comments from your offline copy. in the toold there is also compare function which can be handy to spot any differences.

Upload the existing program. Open another instance of RSLogix with the new program. Right click on the Ladder file, select copy Goto existing program, click on ladders, new, add new ladder right click on new ladder select paste. add you logic that calls the subroutine. download altered program to PLC. Ken

Greetings, there are several ways to go about this ... the methods below might not be the most elegant but they "make sense" to most people ... try opening RSLogix500 TWICE on the same computer ... if you can do this, then you can COPY and PASTE your rungs from one program to another ... even if you can't get RSLogix500 to open twice on your computer, you can still COPY and PASTE your rungs ... you might want to PASTE them into Notepad, etc. as a temporary holding place while you switch from one program to the other ... example: SOR XIC B3:4/3 XIO B3:4/4 XIO I:0.0/7 OTE O:0.0/3 EOR this is a simple rung in "Copy and Paste" format ... if I can Paste it here, then I can Paste it into just about any Microsoft program ... including RSLogix500 ... best regards, Ron

First, you cannot add new program files online, so here is what I would do: 1) If you cannot find an exact offline copy of the logic running in the SLC, find a backup version that is likely to be close to what is currently running. 2) Open your copy of the program and perform an upload; you will likely get a pop-up with the message: "No matching file found! 1 match processor name." What this is telling you is the online and offline programs have the same name (processor name) but the programs are different. from the listing of files with matching processor names, highlight your offline file. Then click "Upload Use File". This should upload the current prog without losing any of the offline documentation on your PC. 3) Save this, go offline and copy/paste the new logic into the appropriate program files. 4) Download into your SLC. SINCE YOU DON'T HAVE A KNOWN GOOD BACKUP FILE, PERFORM AN UPLOAD TO A NEW FILE FIRST. THIS WILL ENSURE YOUR ABILITY TO GET THE SLC BACK TO A KNOWN WORKING CONDITION IF YOUR OFFLINE COPY IS GROSSLY DIFFERENT FROM THE CURRENT RUNTINME PROGRAM!

OOPS! Looks like a bunch of us repliead at the same time - if my suggestions were redundant, please forgive.

Thanks everybody! Im gonna try, it should work.