Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
73project

Updating firmware on a 1756-L61

3 posts in this topic

I have to update the firmware on a 1756-L61 processor, which is currently at version 12.042. This is to make it compatible with the 64 bit laptops that we are getting from our IT department.  I have an ENBT and a few DC input and output cards in the rack. When I update the firmware on the processor, do I have to update the firmware on the other cards also? 

Maybe, or maybe not.  The DC I/O modules are almost certainly ok as-is.  The ENBT will depend on what you're doing with it.  If you're just using it to get online with your PC, you should be ok leaving it alone.  if it's talking to I/O devices, you're probably ok too, but maybe not.  We've never had any issues whatsoever flashing firmware on CPUs or ENBT modules, so I think there's very little risk in flashing the ENBT anyway, just to be sure.

Remember one thing: flashing the firmware of a CPU will wipe its memory, so make absolutely double triply sure that you have a good backup file.  Go online with the software.  While connected, hit CTRL-S (or the "Save" icon) to save the file.  When prompted, upload tag values.  Then keep a copy of that file safe while you change processor version.