Als

4-20mA applied to 500 ohm resistor.

7 posts in this topic

I am building up an Allen Bradley ML1400 PLC training kit for myself.

Now can I apply 4-20mA from my Process Fluke Multimeter to a 500 ohm resistor to obtain 1-10 VDC and use that as my Analogue Voltage Input into the module?

thank you,

That sounds fine other than 4 mA into 500 Ω will give you 2 V and not 1 V.

Thanks so much Transistor for affirmation.

Will try it out and see how it goes.

You may want to consider using a 250 ohm resistor which would give you 1-5VDC.  Many analog devices have a maximum impedance of 500 ohms so you will be on the edge of what they are capable of driving with a 500 ohm resistor.  See the bottom of this article  in the section titled "Measuring a 4-20ma Input With a Voltage Input Device" for more details

https://www.theautomationstore.com/analog-circuits-voltage-0-10vdc-current-source-and-current-loop-4-20ma/

This brings more light now. Thank you so much, TWControls. I would very much like to use 250 Ohms resistor to take 1-5 VDC into my voltage analgue input module, but my problem is that ML1400 has a built-in 0-10VDC analgue input module that I am now trying to use. Can I stil use 250 ohm resistor to take 1-5VDC into the PLC?

Yes, there is nothing that says you have to use the full range of an analog input.  Look at the SCP instruction to scale it into a real world value that you can understand.

This is it! TWControls, you are now lighting up my PLC pathway. Thank you for resolving my problem.