zpjack

PE Exam

9 posts in this topic

I'm an Electrical Engineer working purely as a Controls Engineer and I'm wondering if I should take the test for Electrical Engineering or Controls Systems Engineering.
I'm also curious about the added value to my career.

Ever hired or relied on services of others? contractor, doctor, anyone?  Is there any value in confirming that they are capable of doing their job? 

Sorry, but not valid reasoning, in my opinion. Not trying to flame anyone. But I've worked with many people who couldn't pass an exam to save their life. But could do outstanding work. I've also worked with others that were the exact opposite - could ace a test any day of the week under any conditions but couldn't perform worth squat. Don't misunderstand me - I'm not against tests. But realize that tests are not to be blindly trusted as the most accurate indicator of a person's ability to perform quality work. Just as correlation does not always equal causation. One must understand the context, not just the end result. It is like writing a PLC program. I can teach any breathing being to write a program to make a machine move. But can they do it safely? Simply? Efficiently? In a way easily understood by anyone else?

I would guess that perhaps you have never hired or relied on the services of someone else based on a high recommendation or qualifying credentials - only to personally experience less than satisfactory service. It does happen.

Getting a PE license requires more than just passing a test, you also have to work under a licensed PE for a set number of years first. In my experience, controls engineers with a PE license are few and far between, and I am not one of them. I passed the FE/EIT test right out of college, but have never worked under a PE. This has never gotten in my way career-wise, but if I had the opportunity I would try to get the license, as it would open far more doors than it would close.

JRoss, you are correct. And every medical doctor must satisfactorily complete a residency/internship before given their own shingle to hang out for their own independent practice. This residency/internship includes supervision and mentoring from "seasoned" medical professionals. But I'm sure you recognize that there are doctors who have completed the requirements but whose skills are questionable. Or maybe their business practices are questionable. Or there could be other factors involved that could impair their judgement and/or practices. The point I am making is that the key is not to *exclusively* nor *blindly* trust any test - including the PE exam. I don't care who the PE in question is, I'm going to do my own research and try to determine to *my* satisfaction that the engineer is credible, capable, and has an impeccable reputation. For example, I certainly don't want to hire someone who has a history of litigation, no matter how incredible their skills are; I don't want such a history to potentially drag me into a similar mess.

And of course, there is the question of cost. We all know that cost is usually one of the biggest - if not the biggest - factors in any business equation. So you might have incredible skills for which you think you should be able to command a premium price for. But how good are those skills if your potential client opts to hire another PE for half or three-quarters of your cost, and whose skills are not as polished as yours?

Let me return to the original question. Yes, pursue the license. It could open doors for you that would never otherwise open. Just remember that the PE exam, like any other exam, only proves that you were capable of  passing the exam on the day of the exam, and under the conditions existent during that time period. It is not predictive.

Let me affirm one more time, I'm not against the exam. Or any exam, for that matter. They are devices widely accepted - and necessary - for ranking knowledge, skills, etc. Just keep in mind that there will always be other factors to include in your considerations, and in your client's considerations. And *no* test or certification should ever be the sole factor in any decision-making process.

The difference with doctors is that /all/ of them must be licensed to practiced. Control engineers not so much... So having a PE is more of a differentiation.

I'm not arguing your points, just focusing on the OP's specific question. The value of obtaining a PE license is much higher than using it to hire a controls engineer. Anybody who requires it is satisfied, anybody who doesn't either ignores it or sees it as an additional perk. Few and far between are the employers who intentionally discard candidates with a PE license!

JRoss, I think we agree on the bottom line. A qualified PE is valuable. Taking the PE exam and passing it is an important notch to have in one's belt, so to speak. And I have clearly, and repeatedly said that there is nothing wrong with pursuing such a notable achievement. I was taking exception with what I perceived was an expression that seemed (to me) to be careless and incompletely thought out. So let me reiterate one more time - there is nothing wrong with pursuing, holding, or hiring a qualified PE. The original  question was whether one should pursue taking the exam. My answer is unequivocal - yes. But I have offered a caveat - don't assume that just because a person holds a valid PE certification that they are capable. This is the reason we have review boards - to investigate allegations of incapacity and wrong-doing. If every engineer holding a valid PE certificate was unquestionably qualified and capable, then such review boards would not be necessary.

I think I have quite clearly enunciated my thoughts and position. I do not wish to continue this debate.

Actually,  one question isn't answered. What is the difference in a pe in controls engineering, vs a pe in electrical engineering. Because i could take one or the other. But i have to say i don't really do electrical enginnering work, and the pe in ce isn't allowed to sign off on any drawings, therefore doesn't assume any liability, and loses probably its major benfit, but is more in line of what i actually do.

Sorry for the delay. Actually, I can't really answer your question. It would make sense that different concentrations would give you a different stamp, but I don't know the particulars.