Pankaj.kawatkar

GPS time synchronisation with AB PLC

6 posts in this topic

My new project is to synchronized GPS time with Allen-Bradely PLC. I have logix5561 controller and PanelView Plus 1000 touch screen HMI. I tried to but i didn't find any option.

In the controller time and date setting tab i found, "we can do it by workstation, but here i don't have a Allen-Bradely workstation"

Please guide me how to do it.
 Thanks In advance

You can log on with your laptop and synchronize it that way

There's no easy way to synch with a time server directly from the controller.   There is not built-in Network Time Protocol (NTP) client in the controller, nor is there a good one in the PV+.

If you have a serial GPS, you could write code to parse the incoming string using the controller's serial port.

If you want very high accuracy position and time, you can use a 1756 module from HIPROM in South Africa.

http://www.hiprom.com/Pages/Products/1756_CLX/1756HP-TIME/web/1756HP-TIME.htm

The usual way to synchronize controllers to a networked time clock is to use the Clock Update Tool utility on an ordinary Windows workstation that gets its time from a domain server or from an Internet source.    The Clock Update Tool utility is a free download or is included in every Studio 5000 installation.

16 hours ago, Ken Roach said:

The usual way to synchronize controllers to a networked time clock is to use the Clock Update Tool utility on an ordinary Windows workstation that gets its time from a domain server or from an Internet source.    The Clock Update Tool utility is a free download or is included in every Studio 5000 installation.

Pardon the interruption. I was preparing to contact Rockwell support for the best solution on this very issue. Thanks Ken!

I use a GPS radio from Netburner NTP, which has an antenna and an Ethernet port, so it becomes a time server. Assign it an IP address and then point your windows devices to that address. Seems like the Netburner NTP was $300.