Doug53

visual basic to rslogix

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a new rslogix and visual basic user.  I am trying to write a visual basic 6 (will upgrade later) program to communicate with a ladder logix program (rslogix 500/rslinx 2.57) to control a micrologix 1761 microcontroller.  I want to build and control a start/stop switch for any output.  Easy enough in rslogix.  But what I want to do is create an HMI in visual basic and have it control the switch.  I have loaded mscomm32 but what I don't seem to understand is how the visual basic program is going to communicate with the rslogix or rslinx.  Do the button programs in visual basic need to show the bit storage places in rslogix.  If so how is this set up?  Can someone enlighten me?  PS be easy on me as I am an old man and it takes me some time to understand.

no need to create duplicate topics. 

to exchange data with PLC you need some sort of software to handle communication. The fastest way to get results (and support) is to use commercial ActiveX like from InGear.

if you are interested in open source, check this forum for HMI you will see something for VB.NET.  or google for "vb.net hmi sourceforge".

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/files/category/3-hmi-sample-code/

Do the button programs in visual basic need to show the bit storage places in rslogix.

Yes they do and there is not standardized "bit storage" for buttons or anything else for that matter 

no need to create duplicate topics. 

Sure isn't :)

VB6 is kind of dated, I recommend using the latest Visual Studio Community Edition because it has a lot better tooling and is free.

You could also use AdvancedHMI which includes the communication drivers you need and will reduce your time invested to less than a few hours.

1 person likes this