G_DeMark

OLDI Modules

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience using OLDI modules with AB PLC?  I want to learn more about their capability and potential uses.   Thanks

http://www.softing.us/ra/

I am still researching my best and most cost effective method to connect a small PLC based system with a database so I can record small amounts of basic data.  For example, if my station has a Cognex  Insight camera that reads the data matrix off a bank of solenoids.  I would like to have the PLC send that part data back to the database.  Unfortunately, most of the machines I am developing are small standalone machines.  Therefore, a cost effective means of moving small amounts of data is needed.

I talked with the Softing representative today (Provides the OLDI module) about these OLDI modules and they seem like a great solution for larger scale projects.  The module plugs into the PLC rack and you get very clean Ethernet communication to a Database (like SQL Server).  All the PLC TAGS are available as well as the Database tables, queries, and stored procedures etc.  Then it appears to be a very simple process to link the PLC tags to the corresponding fields in the database.  The drawback for me is that the module cost $7,000 and only plugs into Control Logix PLCs (not compacts).

I don't see a big reason for it. Unless I am missing something.

FYI Born and raised in Racine!

Hi G_DeMark.

I had a look at that unit a while back for a project, and even had a web demo from their technical guys in Europe, but it was going to cost over R100k just to land one card here is South Africa so we ended up getting a custom piece of software written by a local software dev company for a third of the price. we would have needed to upgrade to a controllogix system as well back then. If price was not an option for our client I would have recommened it.

Our applications was to read in the barcodes of cartons at five different locations, via ethernet, and determine if those cartons needed to be diverted any of the 8 divert stations on the conveyor line. 

They were in the process of developing a unit for the compactlogix range when I spoke to them about two years ago but I do not know how far they have progressed with that. The softing unit would be great to use as we can log data to and retrieve data from databases without the need for a PC acting as an intermediary but on a lot of our projects just the price is prohibitive.

I have heard rumours that AB is going to bring out a CPU with a windows side to it that can be enabled or disabled so that might be worth looking into.

Cheers

Guy

Hello Armadillo852 ,

So what do you prefer to use to get data out of a smaller system running a compact logix PLC?  Do you prefer an OPC server like KEPWareEX?  From what I can tell a license of KEPServer EX would cost about $1,500.  This is much cheaper than the OLDI module.  However, it will require a PC to run the software.  Thanks

My Family grew up in Racine as well.  Racine is OK, but it is NO Myrtle Beach, SC!