brewer

Compact Logix

7 posts in this topic

I have a control system based on Micrologix 1100's  (one master and multiple slaves) I would like to add a new PLC to the network.  Can I use a 1769-L32E or similar in the field and connect its RS-232 port to a serial radio (this would be a network slave).  I want to use the Micrologix 1100  with a message instruction to read the PLC.   The reason I want to do  this is to migrate the system to a new platform in the future or  should I just add another ML100 to the network and continue on the same path.

Thanks

The 1100 has an Ethernet port. You can use the L32E's Ethernet port to send / receive messages to / from the 1100 or vice versa. Ie you don't need a serial radio for any of it 

Edited by Michael Lloyd

I do not have Ethernet between the two plc's. They are miles apart and we utilize serial liscense frequency radios to communicate. 

Hi brewer.

Are ethernet radio links an option for you?

We have used those to link two ML1400 PLCs and a SCADA PC at 3 locations all about 2.5 to 4km apart. Going Ethernet allowed us to remotely connect to each unit easily. 

Cheers

Guy

Unfortunately we have to stick to the serial radio's for now.  The plan is to go to Ethernet radios in the future but it is not in the budget for this year.  There are 10 remote sites. 

12 hours ago, brewer said:

I do not have Ethernet between the two plc's. They are miles apart and we utilize serial liscense frequency radios to communicate. 

I see. We have 50+ sites separated by as much as 300 miles and we used cell modems and ethernet. That said, I don't see why you can't use serial between the two PLC's. You're probably aware of this but the software is different for the Compact Logix.

Thanks, I have decided to use a 1769-L32E at the remote site which has a built in Serial port.