automase

Tag Management Utility/Software/SpreadSheet

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Does any one have any good method for keeping a list of all the IO/Tags assigned to a PLC/Plant? We assign Tags by PLC ID >> Equipment Type ID >> Next number available for the PLC-Equipment combination.

Outside contractors have traditionally done all the Automation work (we're a food manufacturer) but I'm the first in house Automation position they've ever had and I'm trying to gather all the IO lists and details for each PLC and put them into some kind of database/excel sheet per PLC so that any one in in engineering or a contractor can go and look up whats there, what the next available number is for that equipment type. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles to convey the importance of appropriate tag naming to engineers and contractors that isn't just "Water Addition Pump" (When there is several water addition pumps onsite)).

I can build myself a macro-enabled spread sheet for this, but before I head off and spend hours making something thought I'd check if there wasn't already something else out there.

As an outside contractor, I have rarely seen that type of organization on the part of a manufacturing plant. In fact, it tends to be quite the opposite with each PLC having its own naming convention devised by the OEM that made that particular piece of equipment.

I think having that type of consistency is great if you can get it. I am usually the one to do system upgrades, troubleshooting, modifications, etc. to existing equipment, and having a defined understandable tag naming convention is great.

All that said, I'm not sure that a spreadsheet is necessary, especially since it requires maintenance, unless your macros pull data automatically out of the PLC program file. Personally, I'd ignore the spreadsheet and use the PLC software cross-reference to figure out what to name any new tags.

Spend your time defining the naming convention in a document that you can hand to your contractors.

Edited by JRoss
typo