Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mattl

Excel with DDE Links not working

4 posts in this topic

I am in the middle of a project that involves taking 15 temperature readings and 3 other analog values. I made an Excel spreadsheet using DDE links. I set up the program to take a reading every two minutes for two hours which is 60 data points for each temperature and analog input. The PLC that I am using is a micrologix 1200 connected to a 1761-NET-ENI to convert to ethernet. Then the NET-ENI is connected via ethernet to a wireless radio tha ttransmits to another wireless radio that is connected into the company network. The problem that I am having is that the spreadsheet is constantally going to a value reading of #NA for every value and then it will slowly populate each value and then it will start the process all over again. Sometines it is not the whole spreadsheet that goes to the value #NA sometimes it is just a few columns. I have increased the baud rate to see if that was the problem, it helped a little but still has the problem of #NA. Any help would be greastly appericated Thanks Matt

What is the update rate of the dde server? If the server is trying to update faster than it can get the data then you can get this problem. If this is the case then slow down the server update rate. Edited by toolman

For troubleshooting purposes. Can you make your sheet only grab a few point instead of 60? This will prove that you don't have a communication problem, and a few points should be able to be written no problems. Start small, then work your way up to 60 points. Common troubleshooting that I do.

I can make the spreadsheet smaller and it still doesn't work correctly. I had the wireless radio hooked to a SLC500 and a similar program running and the excel spreadsheet worked great. I believe it has something to do with the serial connection between the NET-ENI and the Micrologix 1200 plc. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Matt