Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
automase

Citect v InTouch, would you move if you could?

2 posts in this topic

Our site currently runs Citect 7.4 SP2. We have a redundant server set up, with about 5 - 6 Clients and growing to 8 clients this year. 

I'm new to the industry, been in it for about 3 years but I'm getting the feeling Citect may not be as good of a solution for us as something like Intouch looks to be. We are a Batch Process, Food Manufacturing Site.

Citect came about years ago by a local sparky installing it as being used as a stand alone, small, simple, <500 point, HMI and Alarm viewer for a piece of original plant which has now grown to multiple plants (Same site different process areas) and 5000 points, which will need upgrading soon.

I haven't used InTouch myself, but most other integrator's I come across are always like "Oh, why do you use Citect?", also almost all local integrator's use InTouch, which looks like it has much better add-on packages, support and graphics. We're not there yet, but we're continually moving to try and become a full S88 plant and I'm just starting to think do we jump ship now? I see Schneider have acquired Invensys, as we have System Platform to use the Historian with our Citect System.

Just interested to see what people here, particularly if you're familiar with both, thought about the two? Citect is ok, but InTouch looks like a much better solution.

Hi Automase,

Citect is OK, and they did originate from your local area (Australia).  (I know its totally different, my wifi is a Kiwi).   They are good for simple applications, but no doubt InTouch has a lot more to offer.  Wonderware in my opinion has been the leader in SCADA for many many years, and are very reliable.   It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your SCADA software. Everyone and there brother (including the organization I represent - Uticor.com) has a SCADA software. http://www.ezautomation.net/ezfanlesspc/pdfs/About-uWin-SCADA.pdf If you are looking for something simple just for HMI and Alarm viewing, SQL support, Historian etc. we have a great SCADA package with unlimited tags & screens for $1000.   However, it will not have all the bells and whistles that Intouch offers with their "add-on packages".    Hope this helps.

1 person likes this